What's new

I would love to see "Way Out" (1961 TV series) on DVD (1 Viewer)

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
C'mon, there were only 14 half hour episodes.

I loved these when I was a kid.

Anyone else remember them?

Phil Dally

Stunt Coordinator
Is this the series where the astronauts go back in time to caveman days where the cavewoman is played by Imogene Coco?

Being born in 1959 I barely BARELY remember. I must have been entertained though.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
The show was done live and some Kinescopes are floating around in the hands of collectors now. As I hear, there were also video masters made as well. David Suskind, the producer of the show, had a son who turned all the existing material over to the Museum of Television and Radio. From what I've heard, it's been extremely difficult between them, CBS and the Roal Dahl estate to get them released.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Thanks, Randy, for bringing back lots of creepy memories with that website. And the creepiest thing is: I was only six years old when I saw and enjoyed these episodes. What a weird little kid I must have been!

--Bill

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Bill,

I was 11 in '61, so it was prime time for me...

Maybe Paramount will revisit these shows after they use up their cash cows. Although, I really can't complain about this studio. They have gotten a large portion of my income recently...

Randy

Raine Linton

Stunt Coordinator
I remember this show, it really creeped me out as a kid. There was this one episode where during a storm an old lady got a call from her husband...thing is...he'd been dead for some time. She kept getting calls from him night after night. One day she went out to his grave and a phone line had broken and landed on it. Back then it was really creepy.I'd like to see those episodes again too.

Raine

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I never saw this series, but, I would buy it. I purchased The Veil, which wasn't even aired and I loved that series.

veritas01

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Way Out scared the crap out of me as a kid. I Googled and I see there are 5episodes available on DVD. Looks like they are bootlegged and burned at home. I will probably take a stab and them. I recently bought the entire Thriller series that way and they were all burnt on plain DVDs. But so far they have played well and they are complete. I also bought season one of Hitchock Presents on Half.com. Those were licensed commericially created DVDs.

It is amazing how well the stories carry over the years. Sure they are black and white and the clothing and everything else is dated but the suspense holds your attention and it transcends the years and still scares the crap out of me.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I remember the episode where a guy creates a way of making himself look younger using some sort of photo retouching device. I think one of the images on the Dick Smith link is from that episode. His wife finds out and pours some of the solution across his picture and when he turns to the camera part of his face is blanked out. That image stayed with me for decades. THRILLER used to run late at night on a local channel in the 60's and it too had its share of nightmare images. Funny how something like that has stayed with me for over forty five years.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

Much of the visual imagery from The Outer Limits (1963-65 series) has stayed with me for nearly forty-five years as well.

I don't recall Way Out, except to say that when I searched some of the links Rex and others provided, I saw some images that were not unfamiliar to me -- almost as if they had been buried in the recesses of my mind from when I was a child.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
The weird thing is those 5 episodes have been making the rounds for 20 years and in that time none of the other episodes have surfaced. They are out there and you can watch them at the Museum of Television, but you would think copies would have started turning up by now. I think only kinescopes exist, so they couldn't really do much more then release them. There wouldn't be any need to "remaster" them since it would not improve the picture quality.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
I'd disagree with that. Doing new transfers on a Telecine over someone's 20-year-old film chain transfer would do a world of good.
However, a number of people I've talked to are under the impression that the videotape on these shows still exist, and fooling around with Kinescopes would not be necessary.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
I was wondering has anybody seen an episode from the museum? Are they kinescope or film?

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas
Jack Theakston said:
I'd disagree with that. Doing new transfers on a Telecine over someone's 20-year-old film chain transfer would do a world of good.
However, a number of people I've talked to are under the impression that the videotape on these shows still exist, and fooling around with Kinescopes would not be necessary.
If they exist on videotape then it will make it much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks