I would like to make my FP screen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Lamb, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Mike Lamb

Mike Lamb Auditioning

I just ordered a Panasonic PT-L300U, and I want to make a fixed screen to use with it. I want to make a 5' or 6' wide 16:9 screen. What is the best way to make a screen for a LCD projector? Is there a website that has instructions? I tried a search for this but not much comes up... Thanks!

2. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

Mike,

goto www.avsforum.com and goto their screen forum for more DIY screen information..

Craig

3. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Mike,
    The best method I have seen is where people build a frame of wood and then cover it with grey blackout fabric (found at fabric store like Michaels or JoAnn's) and then mount it on a wall securely. People have even gone so far as to trim it out to make it look even nicer.

4. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

An even easier way (thanks to Mr Wigggles at avsforum) is to use masonite and simply paint it the color you want. Get titanium white eggshell finish for some gain or flat finish for unity gain and just tint it whatever shade of grey you think. I've got a CRT so mine is white, but you can't miss by going by avsforum and checking. The masonite has the advantage of being very smooth - check though because one side may have dimples whereas the other is smoother. Good luck.

5. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Mike,
    Let us know how you like the projector when you get it setup and everything. I would love to here as I have just read some good reviews about this one (including an astonishing possible bulb life of 5000 hours at low settings). I thought the Infocus X1 was great at 3000 hours.