I would like to get your thoughts on this setup.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Reyes, Jul 26, 2001.

1. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and it's really cool to find a place I can bounce my HT ideas on. [​IMG] Anyway, I am putting together a HT for my apartment and this is what I plan on buying:
    TV - Sony Wega 27FS12
    VCR - Sony N81
    DVD - Apex AD800
    Receiver - Onkyo DS787
    Front Speakers - Polk RT600i
    Rear Speakers - Polk f/x300i
    Center - Polk CS245i
    Subwoofer - Polk PSW350
    What do you think? Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Jonathan_M

Jonathan_M Stunt Coordinator

Oh man, stay AWAY from the Apex at all costs. Take a look at a Panasonic PV-31K. It's not that much more but it's a huge improvement in all other respects.
    ------------------
    "We're hosed. We lost the remote."

3. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

I agree about the Apex, and would go with the nOrh 4.0 ceramic package herehttp://www.nohr.com
    Also, would look at other sub options....Adire Audio Rava (399), SVS (obviously), or Hsu VTF-2 (499).
    I bet you are getting excited!
    Cheers,
    Keith

4. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Have to agree. When I saw the Apex my eyes went no further. Also agree about the nOrhs and the subs. The 4.0s will remain in your system for years to come.

5. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Stay away from the Apex, you'll be much happie with a slightly more exspensive Toshiba, Sony, or Panasonic. The rest looks good though.
    -Keith-

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Get as big a tv as you can afford.. you can do better than Apex too.. Everything looks pretty ok too me though.
    - Chip
    ------------------

7. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

I agree...get a bigger TV if at all possible. (Cheapen out the VCR if that helps to this end.)
    For speakers, you could probably do better for the same amount of money. IMO, Polk speakers are fine but I feel that they are a bit overpriced. (That said, I do have some Polks.)
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I just got a pair of Polk's RT600i's and I absolutely love them. I would definitely recommend them to anyone. In fact I like them so much that when I finally step up to my front projector (once I get a house, so not that soon) I will buy 3 more of them for the center and rears. Though they may be too tall for a center channel...oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. In my auditioning I have come to really appreciate Polk's line in terms of price/performance.
    Do some long listening for yourself of course, but I don't think you would be disappointed with your choice in speakers. Have fun!
    Dan Hine

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Instead of the Panasonic RV31, spend an extra $30 and get the Panasonic CV51. Same player except 5 disc carousel. My works great on my 32" 32D201 JVC TV.

10. James Reyes

Thanks for your tips, everyone [​IMG]. I'll get the Panasonic DVD player. It has all the features I am looking for. Out of curiosity, what is the proplem with the Apex players? A friend of mine suggested I get a Denon over an Onkyo receiver. What do you think of the Deonon 3801 over the Onky 787? How about Paradigm vs. B&W speakers?
    Desicions, descisions, desicions!!!! [​IMG]
    [Edited last by James Reyes on July 30, 2001 at 03:38 AM]

11. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    James, IMO the best suggestions so far would be to go for something other than Apex, and the larger TV. As for receivers, you really should go to a store that offers both, and compare the operations of both. There are of course cost limitations involved, and some trade offs will have to be made. The speakers will do fine, especially if you are living in an apartment, since any subwoofer can cause your neighbors to complain. Be aware that the RTI600's downfire their ports into the floor!
    ------------------
    The Bailey's Web Page and Home Theatre
    The Bailey's DVD Collection

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm in agreement also:
    1: go for a different dvd player
    2. go for the bigger tv (skimp/forget the vcr)
    3. i have polks and really like them. paradigms are also great speakers. you may also want to look at energy, psb, def tech, n0rh, b&w...
    4. when it comes to audio (especially speakers) your own ears should be the final judge. it sounds like you're already looking at the correct brands & models of gear, so you should be safe with whatever your ear likes.
    good luck...this stuff is fun!
    oh yeah..denon's make good stuff too. you may also want to consider yamaha & outlaw audio.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

13. James Reyes

Ok, based on your kind feedback, talking to friends of mine who are HT junkies and surfing and surfing the web I have changed my planned set-up to this:
    TV - Sony Wega KV-27FS12 (This will eventually go in the bedroom to be replaced w/ a larger HD set in several months)
    DVD - Panasonic DVD-CV51
    Receiver - Oknyo TX-DS797 (I'll wait for it to come out)
    Speakers - nOrh 4.0 Ceramics for center, fronts and rears
    When I buy my house next year (which is my plan), I'll add an SVS 25-31PC. How do the nOrh 4.0s handle low frequencies. Will I be content w/o a subwoofer for the time being?

14. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Deep bass response is a weakness of the nOrh 4.0 . They need the help from a sub. Otherwise, your plan looks great to me. Why not suck it up and get the SVS now. Although its large, the footprint is not too bad, and you can keep it trimmed low so that neighbors don't complain. Many people have SVS's in apartments.

15. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

To use a phrase from a TV show APEX is your WEAKEST LINK.
    ------------------

16. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Steve, I've been following this thread, and everyone's suggestions are top notch.
    You're gonna love that Wega TV, especially with 16:9 enhanced mode...an option every TV in the world should have in this age of DVD. Paired up with a CV51 or RV31 you'll be very very happy.
    How much $$ do you have alotted for the speakers and sub?
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Equipment List

17. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

Hey james, go with the RT55i's as the mains ($279/each) b/c they offer an additional 6.5" woofer which gives you a much richer sound and more midrange as well. Also go with the Denon 3801 receiver. I currently have an Onkyo 575 and i have experimented with the Denon recievers and I truly believe that the Denon is a far superior reciever compared to Onkyo. It's not that Onkyo is bad, its actually pretty good, BUT Denon wins hands down. (and this is coming from an Onkyo owner). hope that helps.