What's new

I would like to better understand the term "standing waves". (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Would this be a decent example of standing waves:

"Say you throw a rock into a pond. You notice the waves rippling out from where you threw the rock. You then throw another rock further away from the first rock. These waves move towards the first rock's waves. At the point where one wave meets another is a "standing wave"?"

Referring to a sub: At the point where the waves meet might there be an increase in the sound pressure level? If where the waves meet, can there be a decrease in sound pressure level? Can a tube enclosure have standing waves inside it?

The reason I bring this up is because of my dual SVS 25-31's. There is one spot in my 4500CF room where the bass is so loud it makes me dizzy but any where else and it's normal. That area is in a corner, yet anywhere else in the large "L" shaped room it's perfectly fine.

Thanks! :D

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
OK, that was cool!:D

Thanks for the link. I think I better understand using the gaussian wave example. I guess this could also apply to gravity and light waves as well...:wink:

I wonder if you could model standing waves inside of a speaker enclosure in a 3d movie (or animated .gif)?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
I certainly don't know how to do those animations, I'm sure it can be done

Although not animated, you could use one of the freeware room mode modeling programs to model waves in a cabinet. Just use a scale of 1"=1' or something like that, then adjust the wavelengths accordingly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks