What's new

I would like to add an amp to my bi-amp speakers.. (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
My towers are bi-ampable and I would like to power my bottom woofer and I'm think of purchasing a cheap stereo amp to use it as the source to power the speakers. My question is how do I connect it to my reciver ? do I connect it to my .1(sub out)out put on my onkyo 575x ?

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator
If your receiver has preouts for the front L and R to run to a separate amplifier, this would be the way to go. I would recommend not hooking up to the .1 (LFE) output, as the signal is mono and you would miss the normal bass that is fed though the main speakers. Just one final note, I would make sure that the 'cheap amp' that you want to pick up to do this is at least of similar quality to your current reciever, so that the sound from your speakers isn't diminished in quality. good luck!

ScottMN

Auditioning
You would need an active crossover. Hook it up to your receivers pre-outs, the crossover will provide a hi pre-out and a low pre-out. Connect this to two separate amps feeding the hi and low inputs of your speakers.
Check out Marchand Electronics http://www.marchandelec.com/
[Edited last by ScottMN on July 11, 2001 at 01:40 PM]

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony, there are two different ways to bi-amp speakers, actively or passively. The active method is what Scott is describing, where you insert an active crossover between the preamp and the amplifiers. In addition you remove the internal crossover of your speakers. This method offers the most benefits of bi-amping, but since you are using a receiver and wanting to add a single stereo amp, I don't think this would work. The second method is called passive bi-amping, where you just remove the jumper bars from the back of your speakers and plug in the two sets of wires, one set from the reciever output and one from the new amp's output. This method uses the crossovers already built into the spearers. The benefits are more modest but should be audible. :)
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks