What's new

I would like some speaker suggestions, if you don't mind. (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hello,

I few months ago, I asked for some help on which speaker brands I should consider for around the $3k price point. I really like Definitive Technology, but that was the only speaker more than $500 a pair I had listened to. Thanks to this forum I had lots of suggestions. I ended up with a different brand, and I am very pleased with the results. (Not that Def Techs are bad, I just like my choice better.)

The following is my last post from my original thread...
Hey everybody,

It's been a long while, but I finally bought a pair of speakers. I opted to go with a pair of Martin Logan Aeon i's. I really like the sound and I think I got a good deal on them at $2600 out the door. (I hope that was a good deal.) I was concerned with how they would sound in my room with its small dimensions and layout, but I am very pleased with how they turned out. I was leaning more towards HT, but I am already thinking of which CDs I need to go out and buy and listen to. What a difference of sound from my Cerwin-Vega's. (Better be for the price difference.)

So, what do you think of my choice? Did I do good? I know I enjoy them, but I am upgrading from a cheaper speaker, so I think anything may sound better to me. What do I know?

Also, to stick with the original intent of my thread, do you have suggestions of what speakers would be a good match for the rear surrounds? I cannot have floor standing speakers, so another pair of ML's is out. The Clarities would make nice surrounds to match if I had the room.

Any suggestions and/or your feedback on my purchase would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George

Right now I am using a Yamaha receiver rated @ 85W/ch. for powering my speakers. When I buy the rest of my 5.1 set-up, I will probably look into separates on suggestion from a fellow HTF'er, Scott.

Feedback from anybody is welcome.
Thanks,

George

Scott_N

Second Unit
Doesn't ML make wall mounted speakers called the Script? I would get a separate amp for those ML's because of their low impedance which can't be good for your yamaha.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Scott,

My speakers are a 4 Ohm load and my Yamaha has a switch on the back for this. Do you think they will still damage it, because I won't be able to upgrade for a while now that I spent the $$$ on the speakers.

The Scipts are kind of big. My room space is about 11' x 14'. In the rear of the room, to the left is the hall opening to get to the bathroom and to the right is the door to go outside. My current speakers hang on the wall above both openings. These are little KLH speakers. (See why I need to upgrade the rears?) The Scripts would block these openings, I think.

Thanks for the reply.

If any info is needed to help with suggestions, please let me know. I am sure if I would have mentioned the layout of my room, that would have been helpful. :b

Scott_N

Second Unit
Well I see the specs say they dip down to 1.8 ohms so I as long as you play them at a normal volume you should be okay but I wouldn't crank it up. I don't have much experience with ML's so I can't tell you what would be a good match. Good luck in your choice.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ok, I am looking at the Scripts as suggested. I need to go back to the store and take a good look and see if I can fit them in my room with its goofy setup. My concern with them, besides the room needed, is that they only are rated down to 70 Hz. Is this a problem for rear effect speakers? I would think that if I were listening to a SACD or some DVD-Audio, that it would matter, or am I mistaken?

Thanks for the help,
George

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
Just pick up an Outlaw ICBM, which will let you x-over your speakers for multichannel playback.

As for amplification, you definitely want something thats stable to 2 ohms. Your speakers will open up considerably with the right amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks