I would enjoy a guest review for AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I have been incredibly anxious for this release, but I doubt as anxious as Patrick McCart, who has championed the release of this movie on DVD for many years on this forum. I'd be most interested in hearing his review of it (or reaction to it)...i.e. does it live up to his expectations?

2. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    I second that.

After searching for information on the film's score and its DVD status here and on the Film Score Monthly board, I was surprised to see that Mr. McCart was very heavily mentioned, even when he wasn't posting. As someone who has just recently discovered the film, I'd welcome the chance to read his comments on the release. Why not?

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    As soon as I recieve the DVD. I'll post a review with screen captures here (or on my website, which I'm working on).

I'm anxious to see how the DVD came out... I hope it's the usual Warner top-notch work. The only worry I have is that the film may be compressed too much (the disc art shows it's a DVD-9... yet the trailers, outtakes, and uncut Trip to the Moon film are all on the features disc... I really hope it's a DVD-14)

I'm glad to see interest building up for the film... it really is a fun movie and the overdue OAR/Uncut presentation will only enhance the film.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

This along with GBU coming out on the same day are two of my most anticipateed titles

[​IMG]

5. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    I look forward to your comments, Patrick. Even in a wretched P/S form on TCM, the film's charm was evident. I can't wait to see it in widescreen. The extras look interesting as well. Brian Sibley will at least make it an informative commentary (shame they couldn't get Anderson or MacLaine, though) and the outtakes sound intriguing.

That's going to be an expensive two weeks for me.

I know that I'll pick up 80 Days on the 18th and Return of the King on the 25th. But I have a hard choice to make... The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or Enter the Dragon? (I do have WB's first release, but as I have Film Score Monthly's soundtrack CD, I don't have a need for a isolated score track, so I'm looking to trade up, so to speak.)

Not to mention my fondness for Broken Lizard and Club Dread which also comes out on the 25th... my wallet's going to hate me.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Sibley has written several books about the Lord of the Rings (the books and the films), J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, and Disney's Snow White. He also wrote the radio adaptation of LOTR for BBC Radio.

His commentary ought to be really neat.

Plus, any gaps can be filled in with the listing of the names of the extras who appeared in the film. [​IMG]

7. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    Wow. In that case, I'm surprised he didn't get more screentime in the LOTR EE documentaries or wasn't a part of any of the commentaries. Has he written anything about Jules Verne or 80 Days?

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I know for a fact that Brian Sibley was part of the Waterstone promotion of Lord of the Rings first movie, I was at one of those events

[​IMG]

9. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

I just want to thank Patrick McCart if he has been crying out for this DVD for a long time.

The reason I changed to this forum over the other DVD forums I was on was to ask about this movie in the WB chat.

Of coarse right after I joined the movie was announced (we all kinda knew they would probably release it with the remake coming out) but I am sooo glad I joined since this is the best board I have been on.

So close now to finishing my top ten list with this release.

10. Erik_H

Erik_H Stunt Coordinator

I picked up a copy of "Around the World in 80 Days" earlier today in NYC at a store that tends to ignore street dates.

I spent the past hour scanning through the film, which is divided onto two discs (break occurs at the intermission; special features are included on both discs). Entracte and exit music are included (and what music; Victor Young's score remains delightful). The Dolby Digital mix reproduces the stereo effects that probably wowed audiences back in 1956, such as the marching band sequence early in the film where the band marches across the screen.

As far as the picture quality is concerned, the DVD certainly represents an improvement over the VHS and laser versions, neither of which were in widescreen. But the quality isn't perfect by any means; the print shows wear and tear at times, especially during the clever end credits by Saul Bass, and I noticed occasional "pulsing" that marred Fox's DVD of "The Sound of Music." I did not find a credit for Todd-AO, so I assume a 35mm print was used (in his introduction, Robert Osborne states that the roadshow version was used for the DVD). Overall, the picture quality is adequate, and it's perhaps the best that could be achieved given the condition of the film elements as has been discussed in other threads in this forum. But anyone expecting a video approximation of the visual impact that "80 Days" had in its initial release will probably be disappointed.

11. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian

My company did a little work on the disc, and I can verify that the 30fps print was NOT used for the DVD -- it's 24fps.

12. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    I suppose I shouldn't expect ultimate PQ from a film that is in as bad a shape as 80 Days is, so I'll let picture slide. As long as it doesn't look like the TCM p/s print, I'll be happy.

How are the extras? Had a chance to go through them yet?

13. Erik_H

Erik_H Stunt Coordinator

I skimmed through some of the extras last night. There is a documentary (approx 1 hour long) from 1968 about the career of Mike Todd featuring interviews with Elizabeth Taylor, Gypsy Rose Lee, Ethel Merman, Art Buchwald, and others. Video isn't in great shape, although the music during the opening and closing credits seems new.

There are also extensive excerpts from a "Playhouse 90" episode covering a party at Madison Square Garden to celebrate the one year anniversary of the film's NYC premiere. The party, referred to by Taylor in the Todd documentary as a disaster, features commentary by Walter Cronkite. Amusing that a classy series such as "Playhouse 90" would have fallen for such an obvious publicity ploy.

The supplements include two trailers for the film, a pointless list of the performers who appeared in cameos (no bios or links to where they appear in the film; just the names). There is also footage from the dinner following the LA premiere. Interesting to note that the LA premiere was in December 1956; more than two months after the NYC premiere.

Haven't listened to the commentary track yet.

14. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
  15. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I haven't seen this movie, but after seeing the trailer for the new Jackie Chan/Disney thing, this has to be better!

16. Jim Barg

Jim Barg Second Unit

Jim Barg
    Good review, although my head started spinning a bit with the technical information given. As for the Jackie Chan version, best start referring to it as Shanghai World, if that trailer is anything to go by. Personally, if it ends up being as enjoyable as the Shanghai films, then I can't wait.

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's two of the images I captured from my old P&S LP speed tape for a comparison (within the review). Enjoy the splendor of analog video.

For 18 years, this is what the film looked like to most people.

18. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    What's that top one, there, Patrick?

19. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    The top image is supposed to be the bridge collapsing.

(BTW, the DVD finally shipped from DVDEmpire.com this morning. It's on UPS 2nd day, so I'm hoping it gets here by tomorrow evening.)

20. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    Patrick:

Did you know about the original plan for the movie's prologue? I'm sure you did because you are the #1 expert on Around the World in 80 Days, but I just read about it at in70mm.com:

Probably of greatest interest is the discovery of material cut before the final release. This includes two songs by Eddie Fisher, a close friend of the Todds who would marry Ms. Taylor after Todd's death.

More significant was a modern prologue in which Fogg and Passepartout board an airliner, with Charles Boyer arranging for their tickets, just as he suggests their balloon flight in the movie. Many of the other passengers boarding the plane are the cameo stars who will later appear during Fogg's travels—Victor McLaglen, Edmund Lowe, Cesar Romero, Reginald Denny, Melville Cooper, Tim McCoy, Buster Keaton, Joe E. Brown and Frank Sinatra. George Raft and Marlene Dietrich portray a quarreling couple, parts they will also play in the movie's San Francisco sequence. Passepartout walks about the airplane cabin, noticing his fellow passengers, exchanging a wary glance with Peter Lorre. Fogg takes his seat and begins to read a large book, probably Around the World in 80 Days.

This contemporary prologue was dropped in favor of a nonfiction introduction. In this new prologue, Edward R. Murrow compared the view of the Earth from a modern rocket with the 1902 science fiction film, “A Trip to the Moon”, adapted from two Jules Verne novels about an 1865 journey to the moon and back to Earth.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.in70mm.com/news/2002/80_days/80_days.htm