I won't buy discs/products advertised on forced trailers!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jesse Skeen, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I just watched 2 out of the 3 discs in Universal's "High School Reunion Collection" and was appalled to find that they have a 3-minute FORCED promo at the beginning, for the 3 movies I just bought, plus the new Animal House and Meaning of Life discs (the latter erroneously states "For the very first time on DVD", even though it was previously released by Image!) Most of the player controls are locked out while it plays, even the Stop button!! The only alternative to watching it play ALL THE WAY THROUGH, EVERY TIME you play the disc is to visual-scan through it, or quickly hit the Eject button then Play on your remote, which I won't do because that'll probably wear my machine down. Title Select won't work, the Menu button doesn't either, not even chapter-skip- someone obviously wants everybody to see this every time the disc is played! This is the video equivalent of getting several junk emails in a row all selling the same product, or unsolicited telemarketing calls! This is even more annoying than the ones Disney was putting on their discs for a while because those could be chapter-skipped through, and now they let you use the Menu button on their newer discs. Still not ideal, but tolerable.
    Universal has put out some good titles lately, including some that have been on my want-list for a long time, but 3 minutes of forced trailers is simply inexcusable. Therefore from now on I will boycott anything that is advertised this way, now and on any future discs that may do this. I was considering getting the "Meaning Of Life" special edition, but I already have the Image disc and I resent having the trailer for it shoved in my face, so I've decided to pass on it. Any chance there was of my buying "Animal House" is now gone as well (I have it on CED videodisc and an old VHS copy anyways.) It's the same as if I'd been woken up by a phone call asking me to buy these, or if my email box had been stuffed with ads for them.
    Incidentally, I'm NOT the type of person who likes to skip over things either- when I first buy a disc I'll watch literally EVERYTHING on it- I even check the Parental Lock and Region Code messages that Universal puts on most of their discs in 3 different languages! I was certainly happy to watch the promos all the way through the first time I played the discs. When I watch these again though I'll want to go straight to the movies however, and they're keeping me from doing this- if it annoys me, I can only imagine how annoyed others are over this.

2. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Very much annoyed here too. But then again I have been from the first time I saw these f'en forced trailers. Wasn't one of the ideas for DVD to be able to jump to any part of the disc? Well they have successfully f'd that up!!!

Thanks UNIVERSAL you AD WHORE!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now where's that damn Valium!!

On a related note......The first company to release a player that can skip over these damnaable ads has me SOLD. [​IMG]

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Likewise!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. PeterKelly

PeterKelly Agent

I just found out the SE of Carlito's Way had that... No Sale now!

5. rbirk

rbirk Stunt Coordinator

Just an idea, how about calling Universal or writing them asking how to get around the trailers. It will probably not help, but if enough people do it, maybe they get the point. I just cannot believe they do such a thing. No Universal employ must have a DVD player of their own.

6. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

What bothers me most about these forced ads is that they're time-sensitive. The "Animal House" disc (released August 26) sports an ad for the John Hughes 3-pack, flashing the date September 2 at us. So that ad was only relevant for ONE WEEK! The disc itself is supposed to last a lifetime, yet years from now I'll be forced to watch ads saying "Coming Soon!" for movies that might not even be in print anymore! Or maybe "The Breakfast Club" will be on its fourth special edition by then and we'll still be forced to watch ads that tell us its coming September 2!

7. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Casey, I see you are also in Reno.

Anyway, with the whole Kazaa/RIAA thing happening right now, they should be pampering you with the DVD's to make you happy, not doing this crud.

Very stupid. I think consumers need to see that stuff and protest by boycotting the advertised product. If I saw a forced commercial, I would NEVER EVER buy that product, even if I wanted it. Seriously.

8. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

Bought the Weird Science DVD. Wanted to buy Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles. Noticed the forced ads. Won't buy Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles. Simple as that.

I don't pay money to watch ads.

9. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I'll avoid a long rant, but the forced trailers have me going ballistic every time I'm forced to sit through them.

I admit that for some great movies I'll buy it anyway. But a good point was made in a couple of forums that for marginal purchases this will be a buy/no-buy tie breaker. Therefore I'd recommend and be highly appreciative if the DVD reviewers would include in their reviews whether there are forced trailers or not.

10. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Well put, Al.

I'm still on the fence about "Babe" because of this. If I find that my Sony isn't able to skip past these, I'm returning it.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have to agree that forced trailers better not be a thing of the future. Allow users to skip them. While it may beok" the first time around, it can be annoying on every viewing.

And please provide at least a one page insert on your dvd's.

12. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I was on the fence about buying Universal's Battlestar Galactica set, but given all the forced trailers I've had to deal with on Breakfast Club, Carlito's Way, Weird Science, Bourne Identity, Undercover Brother, etc., etc., and given Universal's absolutely shameful record on defects, I will not be purchasing this set.

The nice part is that I work in a tech area, and many of m co-workers ask me about DVD's since they know I have a lot.
    Someone even asked me the other day, "What was the studio that always puts out the problem discs?". I was happy to answer "Universal".

Word to the wise Universal, people are 10 times more likely to talk about a bad experience to others than a good one.

13. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

This ranks right up there with three "Security Device Enclosed" stickers as the most annoying thing that a company can do to show how little regard it has for its customers. I am fed up with having to struggle to get the DVD open, wait on trailers that I may or may not want to watch, and then wait for a cutesy animated menu to do its thing so I can finally get around to watching the movie. I have started trying to find productive ways to use the wait time, but then I run into a lot of DVDs (Warner is bad about this) that time out on the menu and start the movie before I get back.

It's bad enough to have to skip over trailers, but since Universal has seen fit to author its DVDs so that you can't even do that, I have decided to "Just Say NO" to Universal. I hope that they will somehow make it widely known if they stop this practice because I'm not going to go to a lot of trouble to find out. I'll miss some titles I'd really like to have, but enough if enough.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]