I wonder if TV season DVDs are outselling movie DVDs.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tom_mkfty, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I think so.

2. John McM

John McM Second Unit

I'm not too sure.

I remember according to TheDigitalBits posted the Thanksgiving week sales, Seinfeld came in only in 4th place and 8th those weeks, and this is already the biggest selling TV-DVD title ever, while they sold phenomenally, they still couldn't outdo a few of the other titles that came out that week

3. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I don't think so. At one time Simpsons season 1 was the top selling season set on the market and it had only sold something like 2.35 million copies. We can all probably think of films that have sold that many in a week and Finding Nemo sold like 6.4 million DVDs its first day on the shelves.

Movies are still cheaper although the bounds are getting closer...so I'd be surprised if any real big releases of movies were outsold by TV on DVD.

Doesn't mean I don't still love it though.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Plus, bear in mind that every video rental store buys the new movies on DVD, but only a very few bother with the tv series sets. So figuring at least a thousand video rental stores in each state, fifty states, probably 50,000 movies sold to the rental stores alone.

5. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

An average Season Set (let's use Dukes of Hazzard as an example) will sell about 100,000 copies. However, an average movie release (how about Flight of the Phoenix) will sell 1,000,000 copies with ease.

6. Jamie Middleton

Jamie Middleton Stunt Coordinator

one reason i think we are seeing more and more and will continue to see more and more tv shows released on dvd is the profit a studio can gain from releasing these shows....i mean the programing has already been produced why not milk these shows for everybit of profit that they possibly can.