I wonder if the Criterion edition of EQUINOX will correct a continuity error...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dick, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    In my super 8mm print, and on a video tape of eons ago, there appeared a single shot of a gigantic, many-tentacled creature tearing apart a mountain cabin. This shot would have made sense in another place in the film (and I haven't a copy to tell you right now where that is) but as it stood in those copies (and perhaps in the original theatrical version, due to an editing oversight) it makes no sense, it just gets dropped into the film. Anyone else notice this? Hope they fix it, with the director's okay, or course!

2. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

That moment might make it into the deleted scenes and outtakes section.

3. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Not if it wasn't a deleted scene. It sounds as if it was originally in the film proper, but just edited incorrectly.

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I've heard that there were several edits of both versions of the film. Hopefully the DVD will include the 'approved' cuts of both the 1967 and 1970 versions and the deleted scenes section will be a catch-all area for any alternate or extra footage that has turned up in various prints over the years.

5. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Can anyone who owns this Criterion DVD verify whether or not the continuity error has been corrected? (see my earlier post above).

6. BrianM

BrianM Stunt Coordinator

There is a scene with a tentacled creature destroying a cabin but it sounds like you are describing a single frame from that scene being spliced into the movie at a different point. I do not remember seeing anything like that but I have to admit I wasn't focusing 100% of my attention on the movie when I watched it. The scene of the creature does not fit with the rest of the action at that point but I get the impression the film makers took effects they had allready completed and tried to make them fit the loose plotline. The image looks great for a movie of this period and budget by the way.

7. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

The sequence with the tentacled creature is in its correct place on the original version; it's just a brief glimpse in the theatrical version, and located differently--which is apparently the way that Wood recut it for theatrical release. The original version is better anyway, amateur or not; Harris and Wood's contributions aren't any more professional, and redubbing the leads really hurts their performances, such as they are.