What's new

I wonder if Sony will bother to remaster all those UA 1.66:1 non-anamorphic DVD's. (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My God, what a huge number of great flms were released through MGM on non-anamorphic DVD's, mostly from the United Artists catalog. They look okay on 27" t.v.'s but, as we all know, people are buying larger sets by the bucketload and those old "letterbox" transfers no longer cut it. Everything from THE MIRACLE WORKER, KISS ME DEADLY and WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION to Hammer's HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES and EXODUS (which didn't even look good on a 13" set) need to be reissued as anamorphic transfers if they are to play with any fidelity on newer monitors. I really hope the economy isn't going to discourage Sony from revisiting these titles.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Sony does not have the rights to the UA films, they are still under control of MGM and distributed by Fox. At least for now, since MGM again has cash flow problems and may have a new owner again by summer.

I agree with with you that the films need to be presented as an anamorphic transfer, especially "Exodus." With it not being anamorphic is one of the crimes of the century.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Exodus should be preserved from 65mm, and released on a 2 DVD special edition, and a Blu-ray. It is one of the most beautifully photographed large format films ever made.

I was thinking the other day that Elmer Gantry should be preserved and reissued. It is a brilliant film, and the last photographed by John Alton. Problem is, 1960 Eastmancolor means it probably requires an expensive restoration. I haven't watched it for a while, but my recollection is that the current DVD is atrocious quality.

john a hunter

Screenwriter

I read somewhere several years ago that Exodus does not exist anymore in 65mm as the neg as long since disappeared.This title seems illfated-even the once record selling soundtrack sounds like crap-as if it was transferred from a cassette!
It seems some serious $$ needs to be spent on it and somehow I can't see that MGM/Fox will be up to it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Your recollection is correct. The DVD of Exodus is an absolute disgrace.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
No way! Does that mean they lost the original soundtrack master tapes as well?

The solution is simple though. The Preminger estate should license Hurry Sundown, Skidoo, and Preminger's 70s films, then use part of the licensing fees they receive to have Exodus restored.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
"Elmer Gantry" has aired in high-def on the HD Net Movies channel looking much much better than the extant DVD. They clearly have a decent high-definition master, they just have not ported it to a DVD yet.

Regards,

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I wonder how concerned the Preminger Estate actually is. UA appeared to have no decent protection policy for their films leaving it up to the filmmaker's involved. I wonder whether Robert Harris has any information?

One has to wonder precisely what has survived even in 35mm of these films. And yes the music master tapes have long since gone. Perhaps there are some pristine elements in a garage some where but I doubt it.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

The Apartment, although that may have been one of the rare anamorphics to begin with (can't remember).

I agree about Exodus, probably the worst looking DVD I have ever seen.

Let's see a new The Train while we're wishing for improved transfers.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3

Would double-dip this one in a heart beat if released 16x9.

Martin Welch

Agent
Real Name
Martin Welch
Does MGM even release old library movies on DVD anymore, I mean besides stuff like the Pink Panther films with big screen tie-ins?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks