I wonder if Rent to Own places will ever carry Plasma tvs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentJ, Oct 10, 2002.

1. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

Being someone who can't afford one of these. I'm wondering if any rip you off places such as a Rent to Own will ever carry these? I dream of having one of these puppies, but unless I ever win the lotto it doesn't look to good.[​IMG]
    Brent

2. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    They might eventually, but, those places typically charge 2-4 times the SRP on items. They prey on those who can't get credit and "rent to own" sometimes ending up paying 200% effective interest on the items. They only carry cheaper products also. Avoid at all cost.

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

What Rick said...by the time you own it...you could have bought a couple of plasma screens.

You know LCD projectors and a HTPC is a wicked combination and not much more than a good 65"....something to think about.

4. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

I don't know what your budgetary limitations are, but Costco sells a decent Sampo 42" plasma with wall mount for $3K. That's about the least expensive plasma you'll find right now. However, in 18 months you'll see many plasmas down close to the $2K mark. Remember that plasmas sell online for about 40% less than they sell for at B&M.

5. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

Eric:

>>> Remember that plasmas sell online for about 40% less than they sell for at B&M.

6. EricHaas

Well, I am not exaggerating.
    Not even a wee bit.
    My observations are easily verified. Take a look here for example:
    www.plasmaextreme.us
    Now compare those prices on these specific models to what you find in B&M. For example, the Pioneer 503cmx (50"), has an MSRP of $15,500 (+ tax).
    http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pi...0~3060,00.html
    It goes for $6191 (shipping included) every day at this website. And it has gone for $5200 from Dell recently (with stackable coupons). Now in a B&M store, this unit will typically price at $12,000. Granted, many hi-fi stores (but usually not chain stores) will part with it for 10-20% under that price. Roughly $10,000 is what you will get with reasonable looking around. In some exceptional cases you might do better, but in my post above I was talking about what is typical. Even if I am WAY wrong and you can get it for $8,000 somewhere, when you factor in tax the price difference is about 35%.
    I have been pricing plasmas for a year now (still haven't bought) and trust me the price difference between B&M and online is *staggering*. You do not just save sales tax. You save at least $3000 buying on line, and often more than that. The only exception to this is Fujitsu plasmas because there are restrictions for online sales. Hence for that particular brand you can do about as well with B&M because you pay a lot either way.
    But generally online plasma sellers typically operate at 5% gross margins. B&M stores cannot compete with this.
    If you know of any B&M stores that sell plasmas within 10% of what they cost online (after adding sales tax), please let me know. I generally prefer to buy from B&M but after a year of pricing, it just isn't feasible.
    Eric

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Keep in mind that the lower priced plasmas are not HDTV, they have just 480 or maybe 540 rows of pixels.
    The HDTV quality plasmas, LCD's, and DLP's have at least 720 rows of pixels.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

8. EricHaas

The fact that the plasma has more horizontal lines does not necessarily make it better quality. Higher res. plasmas in general do worse with 480i and 480p material due to the need for scaling (depends on scaler). Conversely, some 480 line plasmas, such as the current Panny 42" (best price = $3600) display an HD image pretty close to its HD counterpart (this according to most subjective online reviews, including my own).

Also, the Pioneer 433cmx (43") is an HD display and runs about $4K. See the link in my first post above. It's an exception to the general rule right now because of a recent wholesale price reduction.

9. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Getting back to BrentJ for a moment...

Brent, if your credit is such that you have to go to a rent-to-own place (and yes, you'll end up spending double or more), I'd recommend instead that you get a credit card, even one that requires you to put money in the bank to cover the credit line, and charge on it and pay it off every month. Just charge gasoline or whatever, but build up your credit.

Eventually you'll qualify for a Best Buy 24-months-no-interest deal or somesuch, which will save you lots of money on a purchase of this size.

Jan