I witnessed the future......and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by LaMarcus, Feb 22, 2006.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I was at H.H. Gregg, and they had the new JVC HD-ILA 1080p television on display with an HD-DVD player demoing 1080p content.

OH....MY....GOD!!! I stood there watching it for about 20 minutes, I can not believe how crystal clear it was. It's almost scary. The dvd player was not for sale, it didn't even have a manufactorer name on it, it was only for display.

Has anyone else seen this in person? It will change you I promise. With all due respect to Gregg Loween and company, I just can't see how this could look any better with an ISF calibration, but I'd love to be proven wrong!!

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Don't know why you needed to put a dig into Gregg and pro calibration with that inflammatory statement.

The JVC unit that I worked on recently had severe white crush and discoloration even at mid level settings. How that can make the image look good is a good question.

HD DVD will look good, and it will look better on a properly calibrated set unless you don't care about accurate images.

What else do you think ISF calibrations are about?

Regards

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Micheal, I did not mean to disrepect you and Gregg with what I said, if you took it as such I apologize. Point I was making was that it look sooo good, that it would be mind blowing to see it look any better, and if that was indeed possible I would be amazed.

I've had my set ISF calibrated, and it looked much better than it did prior to that, but this thing (JVC) looked so good I didn't see how it could be improved upon. But like I said I'd love to be proved wrong, and you did that. With that being said I would love to see the end result after the calibration.

So did you calibrate one of the new JVC's that came out this year? The 1080p? How long did they have it before you fixed it?

4. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

LaMarcus, remember how blown away you were when you saw my Pioneer Elite PRO-620HD after Gregg did his thing on it. It didn't look that good out of the box!!

I know you didn't mean anything bad by your remark. I have seen some plasma displays (Pioneer Elite) that blew me away.
    But I wonder what adjustments had to be made to get them to look that good!!

Shoot me an email, we need to get together soon!!

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

I am willing to bet that the HD-DVD player was a Toshiba. And it was most likely the $799 model that will be coming out soon. And as far as I know HD-DVD will not be displaying anything over 1080i not 1080p. I hear that HD-DVD is capible of 1080p but Toshiba will not be running dvd at anything but 1080i. If you saw HD-DVD demoed on a JVC HD-ILA and the salesman showed a menu that said what resolution it was displaying. I doubt the JVC HD-ILA display was a true 1080p display. Most 1080p HDTV's out now do not accept 1080p sources. They will upconvert/scale 720p/1080i to 1080p but I doubt the HD-DVD was showing a true 1080p picture. Again as far as I know Sony Blu-ray HD format is the only true 1080p source that will be available this year, along with Toshibas 1080i HD-DVD. I dont doubt that the picture did not look good its just that Blu-ray's picture will be better than what you see with HD-DVD.

6. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well from what I saw at CEDIA on HD net, they had the JVC on display (same tv), and they were showing the same thing that they had at H.H Gregg (dvd content), the guy said it was 1080p, so I took him at his word (he was a pretty knowledgeable guy bought from him before), but I didn't check the source to see if it was truly 1080p. But I'll tell you this, if it was 1080i, I'm sold on 1080i!!!!

7. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I have seen this set in action in Miami also. I am still sold on the 1080P H.P. that was sitting next to it though.

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

What's H.P? Hewlett Packard?

9. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

With all due respect to all participants here, I do not believe the original poster was being "inflammatory" in his comments. He was merely stating that, upon viewing HD DVD on a nice display, he just could not see how an ISF-level of calibration could improve it, given how good the image was. That's all. Of course, it would look better -- "but look how good it is right now."

11. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I don't think that the poster was making an negative comment at all on ISF. He was just pointing out as technology gets better, so does the image without ISF.

That being said, most of your home end consumers does not know what a proper set looks like. They think, the brighter, the better. The sharper, the better.

We all know that this is so wrong, but the mass don't know. The mass picks out the brightest TV that they can find and take it home.

I've used Gregg's services before and hands down, it was money well spent and there is no doubt that I will have my next set ISF'd again, no matter how accurate it looks like.

My uncle has a nice 65" CRT RPTV. A Mits.

He swears that the store tech did all that he could to "tune" up the TV. I have a 47" Panny that was calibrated by Gregg and the picture has held up well.

Compare to my uncle's TV vs. mine, I have far better picture and not using my TV as a spot beam [​IMG].

Gregg, if you are reading this, I might need your help soon. I touch up my set, convergence (service mode), cleaned my guns and etc, and the picture looks awesome, but I can't seem to get the reds to line up on the right edges of the screen. It's like I might have too much underscan or I'm at the limits of my TV.

Please email me to see if we get work something out.

The picture looks awesome!

You did a great job on my grey scale and color balance.

Very happy!

12. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Yes, all of the 1080p sets look great, especially with HD content, be it native 720p, 1080i or 1080p. These sets upscale to 1080p no matter what the source and are currently basically "state of the art." 1080p is produced by several different methods by different manufacturers and some people can get quite passionate regarding the differences. However, as the original poster of this thread stated, once you see 1080p in any form you will be changed.

I happen to own a Hewlett Packard (HP) 1080p set, Model MD5880n, which actually accepts native 1080p input and it is stunning in that mode. I'm using WMVHD 1080p source discs via an HT capable PC and it doesn't get better than this at the moment. And "regular" HD content at 1080i scaled up to 1080p resolution either by the set or, in my case, with an external 1080p HD scaler (DVDO iScan VP30) is just about equally as impressive. I have over 30 stations of HD content available to me via the Dish ViP622 MPEG4/2 HD DVR so I've watched a lot of this, too.

We saw all the sets at CEDIA 2005 and, like LaMarcus said, we were witnessing the "future" of home video. And it's available now with much more to come.

Incidentally, I've updated my HT web site to reflect a lot of the new equipment that I've assembled there since my visit to CEDIA 2005. That was a very expensive visit.

[​IMG]

The link to my site is in my signature and a lot of what I've mentioned here is covered in greater detail, including a link to WMVHD materials.