What's new

I wish they'd make a Blade Runner game for x box. (1 Viewer)

KyleK

Second Unit
Yeah that would be really cool, but it shouldn't be just for X-Box, it should be on PS2 and GC as well. Share the love, man.:D

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
there was a PC game based on bladerunner that came out in 1997. it had some decent graphics (it was a 2d, 3rd person adventure game.. King's Quest style), excellent music and some great voice acting. But the plot was very thin and it really broke down toward the end in terms of making sense and being fun to play. I still have my copy somewhere, it's cool to wander around the city with that eerie Vangelis soundtrack and the hum of spinners flying overhead in the background.

I'm afraid if a new Bladerunner game were to be made these days, it'd be just another first person bloodbath ala UnrealQuakeDoomHalo.

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I was just searching through my old vhs tapes and found blade runner. With today's gaming hardware being a blade runner would be fun. Trying to find replicants, flying police cars, etc...think it might ever happen?

doh...just found out there was for pc, don't know much about it though
John

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
i vaguely remember reading good things about the old bladerunner game, but I'm not 100% on that, not sure about what type of gameplay or anything else regarding it

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Bladerunner was one of the worst adventure games I've ever played (and I've played a lot). There was hardly any puzzle element to it. It was all about talking and analyzing people, and then figuring out where to go next.

The background graphics were great, but Westwood was on their Voxel kick then and they used them for the characters. They looked terrible.

It's big thing was supposed to be that it would be different every time you played it, and it was... sorta. The game was practically the same, but a different character would be the replicant, and you'd have slightly different conversations because of it. My roommate at the time played through it, but I hardly touched it before wiping my hands clean and playing one of my LucasArts adventure games again.

It would be interesting to visit the subject matter again, with a GTA like engine to give it a more fully realised BladeRunner type living city, but then make a good game around it this time. I don't know if Westwood still holds the rights (something tells me they do), but given their hit and miss track record, I don't know if I'd really want to see them giving it another shot.

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator

GTA3 and Mafia in my mind have both shown where the future lies in gaming. Especially Blade Runner, the main appeal of which lies in its fascinating world, would be ideally suited for this type of game. I haven't played the adventure, but I know that it would be important not to stick too close to the movie's script. The characters and places should all be there, but the story should develop according to the player's own pace, just like in an rpg. Mafia shows how you can still combine that with a great storyline - but even it would be better off if inbetween missions, the player would have a CHOICE to just wander around the game world ('Free Ride' mode lets you do that, but it's disconnected from the rest of the game).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks