What's new

I wish studios would use DTS HD MA as the standard (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dolby TrueHD is good, but I have to admit I wish these studios would standardize and go to DTS HD Master Audio. Right now, I cannot access lossless tracks on BD discs, but DTS HD MA allows a core 1.5 Mbits/sec track to be extracted. So far, I haven't heard one DD track extracted from Dolby TrueHD that even compares to the DTS lossy core.

I'm sure the issue will go away when I can fully access the lossless trackson BD, but that will not be possible for some time. At this point in time, in every case, I prefer the sound of 1.5 Mbits DTS lossy over lossy Dolby Digital.

Edited: To clarify that I was referring to BD discs.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Does not your AVR have 5.1 inputs Edwin? With audio equipment good enough to easily detect the difference between the two lossy formats, I’m somewhat surprised that yours does not have those inputs.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

I disagree 100%.

Give me uncompressed PCM. BR media is supposed to have all the room in the world; lets use it.

And as a bonus, us early adopters (you know, the folks that bought decks and media that allowed BR to survive?) can get full benefit of what the media is capable.

Brian

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I could live with uncompressed PCM as long as I had a BD player with analog outs. The PS3 doesn't have those so uncompressed PCM leaves me in the same boat as any of the lossless codecs: listening to Prologic. On certain discs that works OK for me, but with really active soundtracks I still miss something in the rears in Prologic mode, even with lossless or uncompressed tracks.

So far, with the PS3, if I have to listen to a lossy track I find that I prefer DTS to Dolby.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I really like DTS, what I love best is that the legacy track is always part of the bitstream. This allows space savings for additional features, and leaves a high quality track for those who can't produce lossless add to that it's the default track when used.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I agree with you. You'll be happy to know that the new Criterion announcement for The Last Emperor is DTS HD-MA. So I'm guessing that will become their standard now too in addition to Fox and Universal.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Edwin I also agree with you and find my self in a similar equipment boat for the moment. I have my XA2 using my analog ins right now and I am also using the PS3 as my Blu-ray player. I've had to put off my AVR upgrade for a while (but I no longer have a gallbladder :emoji_thumbsup:).

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I felt this way too.

But I dropped only $500 on a Yamaha 663 with TrueHD and DTS MA HD decoding.

Of course the PS3 just sends it as Linear PCM, but it sounds amazing.

It's well worth the upgrade. Of course perhaps you feel that if you were to upgrade you would get something of higher than $500 quality. It's a 7.1 receiver and you would definately get an upgrade from what you have.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I don't have DTS anything, so what would happen with DTS MA titles like The Last Emporer?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Normally, you'll get nothing. If you configure your player correctly, you might get Stereo PCM. Time to upgrade your receiver?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

Wouldn't the player have a PCM conversion option for DTS and/or Dolby? I would venture a guess as to say that it would convert the core DTS to PCM, no different than any other player.

I seriously doubt that there would be a player/disc combo that could not somehow produce sound, one way or another.

Brian

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
In the old days I would pick a DTS track over DD any day of the week. But now with HD and lossless a good lossless track is a good lossless track. At this time I can not listen to the DTS-HD MA tracks but am enjoying the full bitrate core of the DTS titles I currently own. While I am not crazy about the use of DN on the Dolby True HD. But At this time I am not to sure if there is much of a difference between Dolby THD and DTS-HD MA. Can't wait to get a new receiver so I can demo some Dolby THD tracks vs DTS-HD MA and see if there are any differences if any.

But I would love to see more titles with DTS-HD MA tracks. Just because I love what DTS brings to the table.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I would personally go with a mix of PCM for anyone with 5.1 analog outs or an hdmi receiver and 640k DD so people without those can bitstream a 5.1 track.

DTS MA sounds great, but decoding is still a problem for many and too many releases with that format have had problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks