1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I wish someone could invent a way to stop nosebleeds...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DeathStar1, May 13, 2004.

1. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Living in one of the most humid places on earth, I can say that a two-week trip to even London, which I understand is relatively humid for a European place, sets off nose-bleeds like mad, as well as cracked skin on my hands. So the dryness is clearly a factor. After a few days, just blowing my nose sets off a bleeder.

Acclimatisation is probably why some of you living "Mile High" have never had a problem -- if you don't have a problem at high altitude with dry air, everywhere else pressure is higher and air is more humid, so you're good. Whereas I'd probably spout a gusher in Denver [​IMG]

As an aside, back in 1991 I attended a student's conference in Brisbane, which was my first trip to a temperate country after emigrating from Europe back to Singapore in 1979. At what Queenslanders consider a "ball" at the end of the conference -- it was more like a costume-party at a pub -- my nose starting gushing and I was in the washroom trying to clean up. Bear in mind, open bar, so I was half-drunk already, and the theme was "Criminals and Convicts" or something similar (Antipodean self-parody, no doubt), so I was trying to dress like a Yakuza (black trenchcoat, all black attire etc).

Whilst bent over the sink washing up with blood dripping everywhere, someone passed by and said "snorting that stuff will do that to you" :b

2. BobV

BobV Second Unit

You wanna stop a bleeding nose in it's path? Take a smallish square of newsprint, fold it over a few times and put it under your top lip and squeeze. I know it sounds stupid, but it works like a charm. My sister had nose bleeds all the time growing up (and myself a few as well), almost as soon as the newspaper hits the upper lip, the nose bleed is done.

Forget all this cauterizing stuff... go get a Times!

[​IMG]

(it's true!)

3. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

Put a wadd of napkins under your lip, fit it real tight.
    That will stop one,, It does mine

4. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I was going to post the same solution as the two above. Works like a charm.

5. andrew markworthy

Neil - seriously, you should get a persistent nose bleed checked out; there are several possible causes and you need to find out which applies to you so the appropriate treatment can be given. I must add that I've had a couple of cauterizations in my time and they didn't hurt more than e.g. a dental injection. Sure, they're not the nicest thing in the world, but compared with a sinus wash they're a breeze.

It certainly is - even more so are some of the cities that were important in the British Industrial Revolution like Manchester (higher relative humidity is better for cotton weaving). However, Singapore is definitely on the moist side. Brits serving in the Foreign Office who got posted there (or several other countries in the region) got double pension allowance for every year they spent out there.

6. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston

I was also going to suggest that as well. It is an old EMT trick. The reason being is that the blood vessles that supply the front of the face (and nose) with blood run up through the top lip. Placing the wade of wet gauze or napkins under the top lip puts pressure on those blood vessles feeding the nose and cuts off the supply. This will give the nose time to clog and the nose bleed will stop rather quickly.

7. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

Matt Butler
    So...anyone watching 24 this season?! [​IMG]

8. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Erich, they did a report on this in Consumer Reports, I believe, and it got a thumbs up. I used to get nosebleeds alot as a kid. I get them quite rarely now. I use a Neti Pot to keep my nose from getting dry and to prevent sinus trouble. This might help prevent nosebleeds too.

9. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Stunt Coordinator

I had nosebleeds as a kid and now I have them on and off because I am taking a med called plavix wich is an anti clotting med. Kinda wierd when it happens in the shower, I just stand there and let it run and think about the movie Phycho.

My doc told me to use Vaseline on a q-tip to keep the nose moist, and it has helped.

10. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

>I was also going to suggest that as well. It is an old EMT >trick.

Ive been one for the last 30 years, that is were I got it.
    Work as one in a Steel Mill..

11. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

Ah, the British gift for understatement [​IMG] Whaddya mean, "moist"? It's frickin' soakin' here!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Not good for electronics and DVDs, though [​IMG]

Double pension? "Nice work if you can get it."