What's new

I wish someone could invent a way to stop nosebleeds... (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Apart from having a stuffed nose, nosebleeds are my number one pet peeve. I don't have them that often, but when I do, it tends to be a real annoyance.... I'd pay money tohave them stopped permanently....

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I get them from time to time and they are annoying. It scares my wife because she has never had a nosebleed.

A couple things have helped over the past winter:
--A humidifier
--Ayr saline gel (or similar, to keep nose moist)

It seems that dry conditions help trigger nosebleeds for me.

On a serious note, nosebleeds may be a sign of something more worrisome--from high blood pressure, to polyps, to a tumor. If you have persistent nosebleeds that don't respond to simple solutions (like saline nasal gel) then it may be time to ask your doctor about it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
STOP PICKING!

:D Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Actually, my wife tends to get nosebleeds kinda often, depending on the season. The air is pretty dry around here, so it tends to make nosebleeds a little more common during the dryer months.

Our doctor and pharmacist actually gave her some nose-lubricant. (Oh stop it.) A small amount is put on a Q-tip, and gently smeared around the inside of the nostril. Seems to help prevent them from occurring on a frequent basis.

Edited to add: Sounds like Chris and my wife are in the same boat. Dry conditions set 'em off...

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Ralph Wiggum: ... and my doctor said I wouldn't have so many nose-bleeds if I kept my finger out of there. :D

Ike

Screenwriter
My brother suffered from frequent nose bleeds, and the doctor cauterized something inside of his nose. He said it hurt like hell, but he hasn't had a nose bleed (that I know of) since. Maybe someone can provide more information. I don't know if this is an elective thing you can have done or if it's only if your nose bleeds are serious.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

:eek:
I'm reduced to a blubbering mass just plucking a nose hair out. Sticking a hot poker up my snauz would be un-imaginable.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
My brother constantly had nosebleeds while growing up. A few times he woke up with his face stuck to the pillow from blood that had dried. :eek:

The doctors said it was due to a blood vessel that was too close to the surface inside his nose. My brother had this vessel cauterized numerous times, but the nosebleeds would eventually come back. It wasn't until his late twenties when they subsided.

And yes, from what my brother said, cauterization inside your nose is very painful.

-Mike

DannyL

Stunt Coordinator
try to find ponares oil. mix it with normal saline and squirt it in both nostrils 2-3x's per day. i use it in my nosebleed patients. it works very well.

Jason Bovberg

Stunt Coordinator
I just make sure I get plenty of Vitamin C with bioflavinoids. Does the trick, even here in high-altitude Colorado.

Jean Luc

Agent
I used to have nosebleeds as a teenager. Got one tiny blood vessel cauterized. The pain is undescribable. The hard part about it is you have to be perfectly still because he is WAY up your nose. YOU try holding still while someone is branding the inside of your nostril. Just thinking about it is making my anal sphincter contract.

Erich_S

Grip
I saw this at my local grocery store a while back in their "new products" section.

NosebleedQR

Ingredients:
Hydrophilic Polymer, Potassium Salt

Looks really high tech. I rememebr a small blurb about it in Scientific American or Popular Science a while back. Try it out and let us all know how it works.

I was thinking about trying out the non-nosebleed/scrapes and cuts version, but I forgot about it until now.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I get them when it's dry outside or allergy season. Years of wrestling taught me to wad up a piece of kleenex or toilet paper, keep it up there for a little while, let it clot, then take it out. You can do this and keep up an active lifestyle without looking like a goon, with a kleenex on your nose.

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Cauterization is hell. I've have a nasal blood vessel real close to the surface since I was a kid. I've had it cauterized three times during my adult life. The last time, I actually passed out. Cold. There is no way to describe the pain. I'd rather get kicked in the nuts - repeatedly.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I never get nose bleeds that start for no reason, the last time I had one was when some drunk at the club punched me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks