I will get SVS Ultras, but in the meantime tell me what you think about this.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I don't have the money to buy them right now, so, in the meantime, I will buy a couple of AudioSource Fifteen for 370 bucks. A single sub can do around 87dB at 20Hz, so I think two will give me around 93dB.

Currently I run a KSW12 which give me around 89dB at 25Hz, so I expect a big improvement with the Audiosource's.

I think I can make a couple of sonosubs that reach more than 100dB at 20Hz for around a grand. So that could be my next step, and then I can go for SVS.

What do you think?

2. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

dude, don't you have a credit card [​IMG]

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

For that money I'd go to Acoustic-Visions. I'm sure you can get a much better sub for the money.

4. Manuel Delaflor

Martice,

Not at all, I have done my homework. Those Audiosource are really cheap. I can't build a 15 inch sub for what they ask.

5. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I used to own one of those, but $370 is a much higher price than what I paid. Costco used to carry them for only $200.00. Is this their newer model, with the digital amp? Either way, if you get it, they tend to be a bit on the boomy side. Lining the interior with fiberglass (available at Radio Shack), cuts down a lot on the boominess and tightens it up. For the money, it is a lot of bang for the buck. But, for less then $200 more, you can get the SVS 25-31PCi, which will sound MUCH better than the SW-15(I know, I replaced my SW-15 with the original 25-31PC).

6. Mark KU

Mark KU Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I think he means he's getting 2 of the SW-15s for 370 bucks. Not bad, I paid 220 for mine. Replaced it about 9 months ago with dual 20-39s and a fidek 600 watt amp. No comparison, the SW-15 was incredibly boomy and loose sounding compared to the SVSs. Granted, there is a huge price difference too. If you're not waiting too long for the SVSs, I'd just ditch the SW-15s and go without a subwoofer. Better than wasting 370 bucks on subpar subwoofers.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Manuel,

I don't quite understand your logic. You're talking about buying dual 15" subs, then later building sonosubs, then buying an SVS.

My question is this: Why build a sonosub(s) and then go to an SVS? If you truly have done your homework you would know that a single DIY sonosub using an Adire Tempest or Dayton DVC 15" can outgun dual SVS CS subs and probably easily hang with an Ultra. Dual 15's would best a single Ultra.

For that matter, why not build an 18" sonosub to outgun the SS subs?

Brian

8. Manuel Delaflor

Lee, I can buy two for that amount.

Please tell me why (is not as dumb question as you might thing ;-) ) the SVS 25 is much better than the sw15? Less boomy? better bass extension?

I guess the extension is more or less the same, and you are talking about "boominess", but I want to read your impressions.

9. Manuel Delaflor

Mark, you said:

"I'd just ditch the SW-15s and go without a subwoofer. Better than wasting 370 bucks on subpar subwoofers."

Are the sw15 really THAT bad? I can manage the "boomyness" because I will cut the subs at 40Hz, what I want is cheap extension. I know your new SVS gives a lot more of it, but then again... I want to save money and go for a couple of SVS ultras.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. Manuel Delaflor

Brian,

My logic is this, get as much bass as I can now for the minimum amount of money, and save for two expensive SVS Ultras on the future.

Now, what you say is interesting, true, I have read that a DIY sub can outpeform some SVS offerings. BUT (note the capital letters) I don't know anything about building a speaker, I don't understand the parameters (like Q, FS, Xmax and such) and I don't know how to work with the materials. True, tentatively, this could me my next step.

Still, for what I have seen, a good DIY sonosub will cost me around 1000 bucks (big amplifier around 400, a tempest or the other 18 inch driver goes from 200 to 350, and I will still need the materials to finish the sub.

Im open to your commentaries.

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Well, you can DIY the performance of any sub out there, but DIY is definitely not for everyone. $1000? Really, a $125 Parts Express plate amp with a Tempest $(150) in a big ported cab would give almost any 12"-er a run for its money, but I would definitely recommend you grab an SVS, then add another if you need it. Don't put it off for long waiting for an Ultra, one of the new PCi would be much better than those Audiosources.

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

14. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'd like in my living room...a 4 ft. tall garbage can... Hey, turn it on it's side, fill it with hot water, and it could double as a steam roller. :^)

15. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Tough to get around the physics of it, size = performance.

Throwing money at it can help, but only to an extent.

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

17. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

...good thing MY ears(and the aesthetic requirements of my living room) don't demand THAT much performance. :^)

18. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Yes, I recall a discussion along those lines. Can be a hefty sacrifice depending on size required, but that's what all the lil' commercial stuff is for, to satisfy the interior decorator in all of us. [​IMG] Truly, though, a silo-sub would be out-of-place in my (really my wife's, of course) living room also, that's why it's nice to have a dedicated room for all this crap.

19. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

"Silo Sub"... I like that one![​IMG]
    Yethh(int.decorator-speak), if I had the dedicated room, I'd absolutely own a silo. Come to think of it, I kinda like that shape...

20. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer