I will get SVS Ultras, but in the meantime tell me what you think about this.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I don't have the money to buy them right now, so, in the meantime, I will buy a couple of AudioSource Fifteen for 370 bucks. A single sub can do around 87dB at 20Hz, so I think two will give me around 93dB.

Currently I run a KSW12 which give me around 89dB at 25Hz, so I expect a big improvement with the Audiosource's.

I think I can make a couple of sonosubs that reach more than 100dB at 20Hz for around a grand. So that could be my next step, and then I can go for SVS.

What do you think?

2. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

dude, don't you have a credit card [​IMG]

3. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

For that money I'd go to Acoustic-Visions. I'm sure you can get a much better sub for the money.

4. Manuel Delaflor

Martice,

Not at all, I have done my homework. Those Audiosource are really cheap. I can't build a 15 inch sub for what they ask.

5. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I used to own one of those, but $370 is a much higher price than what I paid. Costco used to carry them for only $200.00. Is this their newer model, with the digital amp? Either way, if you get it, they tend to be a bit on the boomy side. Lining the interior with fiberglass (available at Radio Shack), cuts down a lot on the boominess and tightens it up. For the money, it is a lot of bang for the buck. But, for less then $200 more, you can get the SVS 25-31PCi, which will sound MUCH better than the SW-15(I know, I replaced my SW-15 with the original 25-31PC).

6. Mark KU

Mark KU Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I think he means he's getting 2 of the SW-15s for 370 bucks. Not bad, I paid 220 for mine. Replaced it about 9 months ago with dual 20-39s and a fidek 600 watt amp. No comparison, the SW-15 was incredibly boomy and loose sounding compared to the SVSs. Granted, there is a huge price difference too. If you're not waiting too long for the SVSs, I'd just ditch the SW-15s and go without a subwoofer. Better than wasting 370 bucks on subpar subwoofers.

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Manuel,

I don't quite understand your logic. You're talking about buying dual 15" subs, then later building sonosubs, then buying an SVS.

My question is this: Why build a sonosub(s) and then go to an SVS? If you truly have done your homework you would know that a single DIY sonosub using an Adire Tempest or Dayton DVC 15" can outgun dual SVS CS subs and probably easily hang with an Ultra. Dual 15's would best a single Ultra.

For that matter, why not build an 18" sonosub to outgun the SS subs?

Brian

8. Manuel Delaflor

Lee, I can buy two for that amount.

Please tell me why (is not as dumb question as you might thing ;-) ) the SVS 25 is much better than the sw15? Less boomy? better bass extension?

I guess the extension is more or less the same, and you are talking about "boominess", but I want to read your impressions.

9. Manuel Delaflor

Mark, you said:

"I'd just ditch the SW-15s and go without a subwoofer. Better than wasting 370 bucks on subpar subwoofers."

Are the sw15 really THAT bad? I can manage the "boomyness" because I will cut the subs at 40Hz, what I want is cheap extension. I know your new SVS gives a lot more of it, but then again... I want to save money and go for a couple of SVS ultras.

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. Manuel Delaflor

Brian,

My logic is this, get as much bass as I can now for the minimum amount of money, and save for two expensive SVS Ultras on the future.

Now, what you say is interesting, true, I have read that a DIY sub can outpeform some SVS offerings. BUT (note the capital letters) I don't know anything about building a speaker, I don't understand the parameters (like Q, FS, Xmax and such) and I don't know how to work with the materials. True, tentatively, this could me my next step.

Still, for what I have seen, a good DIY sonosub will cost me around 1000 bucks (big amplifier around 400, a tempest or the other 18 inch driver goes from 200 to 350, and I will still need the materials to finish the sub.

Im open to your commentaries.

12. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

14. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

Yep, that's EXACTLY what I'd like in my living room...a 4 ft. tall garbage can... Hey, turn it on it's side, fill it with hot water, and it could double as a steam roller. :^)

15. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

16. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

...good thing MY ears(and the aesthetic requirements of my living room) don't demand THAT much performance. :^)

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

18. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

"Silo Sub"... I like that one![​IMG]
    Yethh(int.decorator-speak), if I had the dedicated room, I'd absolutely own a silo. Come to think of it, I kinda like that shape...

19. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer