What's new

I will be demoing speakers tomorrow (1 Viewer)

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking for some suggestions from everyone.

I will be purchasing a pair of floor standers tomorrow and will be demoing numerous speakers in the same location with the same source equipment and was looking for some suggestions of particular scenes from the movies listed below that should help me determine the right speaker for me. Even though I am only purchasing the fronts for now, I will be purchasing the rest of the setup at a later date and am interested in the best setup for my basement.

The movies I will be bringing are:

Star Wars - The Phantom Menace
Gladiator
Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King
Matrix
Matrix Reloaded

If you could pick just one scene from each movie to help you decide on a speaker purchase, what would it be?

The speaker manufactures that the dealer carries are:

PSB
Monitor Audio
Snell
Canton
MB Court
ASW
NHT
KEF

Thank you in advance

raymond caputo

Stunt Coordinator
hey kevin...have fun..i have the snell xa75's...great speakers..a bit pricey...i replaced them with my nht's that i thought were too bright...let me know what you think...

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
All good movies to bring.

For my JM Labs review on AVS forum, I noted these items from Gladiator.
1. I can hear the fly's with no problem. When he finds his family
2. The score is fantastic
3. I can clearly hear the woodpecker when Comodus(spl?) is in his carriage with Drucila.
4. One of the first fights, with the ball and chain being whiped around the room.

Matrix
Bullet's in slow motion on the roof.

If I can make another suggestion, I suggest that you try and bring the Borne Identity.
1. When he gets off the fisherman's boat.
2. In the train station
3. In his apartment when he gets attacked
All of those scenes have very nice pans of action and music. Really that entire film kicks butt.
What ever brings you into the movie is the good stuff.
The only speakers that I have heard that you mention are Monitor Audio. I liked they way the sounded alot. But that was just with music.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike, unfortunately I don't have the Borne Identity (yet), but I will take note of your suggestions from the other movies.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would bring at least some of your favorite music rather than just movies, as movies really don't show you what a speaker is capable of IMO. In pariticular, action movies are not going to give you the best representation.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with John, music is the true test. Bring some music that will reveal what kind of speaker you are listening to.

May I suggest the new Ray Charles CD "Genuis loves company". It sounds amazing and has a whole ton of different stuff going on in each song.

That said, I like Mike Duke's suggestions for testing HT as well. Pick little bits and see if you can tell the differences. Don't rush it, it may take you more than one demo to decide.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I will bring some music with me.

You can be certain I will give a full rundown of what I listened to, what I liked and didn't like, what I purchased and why.

Right now, something has to sound better to me than the PSB's as these, to me, have been the best that I have listened to. I am curious about the Monitor Audio Silver line as people have been saying good things about it.

Let the fun begin..........

:D

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
definitely bring music but, more then that, bring music that you are initmately familiar with. i'm talking songs you've heard a hundred times. what will really blow you away is when you realize you're hearing something you (may) have never heard before...even on the same song/scene.

i remember the first time that ever happened to me (it was actually a movie, but you get my drift) -- it just floored me. i was like, "hey, i've seen that scene dozens of times, but i never noticed that before!"

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Ted Lee is right on point, you can listen to a ton of music and it can all sound good, but listening to stuff you hear all the time will make the profound difference in making the decision. If you have a cd burner, use the time now to compile all your favorite songs and shop away.

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that when I demoed the PSB speakers about a month ago. We were demoing with Matrix Reloaded and the opening scene with the glass falling, my wife and I couldn't remember "hearing" the glass itself, until then. Since then, when demoing speakers I make sure to listen for that in that scene.

I think I am ready for the fun, ;) , will let you guys know how everything goes

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I wanted to bring everyone up to date how everything went yesterday.

I ended up purchasing the Monitor S6. I was able to do an A/B comparison between these and a pair of KEF equally priced speakers (unsure of the model number). I was lustering to a cd with some beautiful live music and the clarity and bass sounded better on the S6 then the KEF's. I am not sure about all the technical terms, but to my ears the S6 just sounded better. Then we listened to a pair of Snells and I still preferred the S6, just something about them that I liked.

We then connected them to a dvd player and played the first scene of Matrix Reloaded, I was curious to see if I was able to hear the detail of the glass as it is falling with Trinity and the agent, I was more than pleased. The clarity of the speakers, was phenomenal.

Finally, we played the Pod race from the Phantom Menace and again, it brought a smile to my face. :)

I will be picking everything up next weekend, here is what I purchased:

Monitor Audio S6
Integra 6.5 receiver
Integra 5.5 dvd player

I can't wait to hook it all up and have some fun :D

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Kevin:
Yep, I sure do. I used to have Monitor Audio bookshelves (it's been about 10 years, but I believe they were called the MA 7 Gold.....don't quote me). I had them paired with a B&K ST-140 amp, Mod Squad line drive, and a Rotel player. It was incredible for the money!

Kevin_F

Stunt Coordinator
I am starting to get excited with so many people saying good things about Monitor audio speakers

MikeDuke

Stunt Coordinator
Its always exciting when you have something new that you just know is quality and that it will sound good. I got the same way when I got my JM Labs 927Be's. But for me it was terrible also. I had to wait a while just to get them. And when they did come in one of the boxes was dented s it was sent back. More waiting. When I finaly got them in my room, and I sa them set up, I had a grin from ear to ear. I am sure that they will live up to the excitement when you get them home as well. Just listen to the music and films and enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks