I went with the B&K AVR-507.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by greggor, Sep 8, 2004.

1. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    Some of you may remember I was in the market for a new receiver to replace my aging sony 777ES and contemplated several flag ship models. At one point I actually ordered the Denon 5803A, but ultimately cancelled my order with the assumption I could do better for my money.... Boy I'm glad I did. Have any of you had the pleasure of hearing the B&K 507? This thing sounded amazing in comparison to the Denon. The sound seemed warmer with my paradigm reference speakers while offering a more defined sound stage.

I also very seriously considered separates but they just weren't a viable option for me right now due to some space limitations that cannot be overcome. I know separates are really the way to go and I fully intend to add an external amp in a few years once I get back to living in the states, but for now as far as bang for the buck goes this B&K is quite incredible.

Greg

2. Jake S

Jake S Stunt Coordinator

I'm confident you will be very satisfied for a very long time......

3. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg

Thats the plan. I still want to go with separates, but for now I couldn't be happier.

-Greg

4. Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi Stunt Coordinator

You won't be sorry, that is a very good receiver, and much better then the Denon.

Mike

5. Burklund

Burklund Stunt Coordinator

did you get a good deal on it?
    where did you buy it from?

6. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg

I think I got a great deal. I paid $2395.00 from an authorized dealer out of Utah. My only real complaint about the B&K is that it lacks some of the many great features of several other flagship receivers out there.

Greg

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Greg,

Sounds like you made a great purchase. Plus, it appears it has paired well with your Paradigm speakers.

Enjoy your new sounds.

8. JeffHayes

JeffHayes Stunt Coordinator

Great job, Greg. I'm running the same thing as you, AVR507 with Paradigm Ref in a 7.1 configuration. Love the sound, but need to send the sucker in to have firmware updated. Supposedly B&K is supposed to announce some upgrade stuff at CEDIA this week. Rumored to be part of the upgrade are multiple notch filters and some word on DVI/HDMI switching capability. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the press release, but nothing so far.

I too am disappointed with the lack of several features that even low end stuff now has including audio delay and auto-calibration. We won't be seeing the calibration stuff til 2006 from my understanding though.

Enjoy the purchase. I snagged my unit out of Utah as well... before the $1000 price drop, so mine ran $2600 I think.

Later,
    Jeff