I went shopping.. looking for advice ;)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shane Wooten, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Hello All!!!
    I'm new to this board but from what I've seen so far I'm very impressed. It's nice to meet everyone...
    I've recenly been looking to get a home theatre system and so far this is what I think.
    I' have about $2000 to spend and I'm having a huge problem of making my mind up on what I want to get. I've narrowed it down to the marantz 5300, Integra 5.3, or a Yamaha model that compares... From what I've learned so far the biggest thing to do is try and match the right speakers to the right system. Hahaha just one of many variables. The speakers that I've actually can hear in my area and in my price range are B&W, Paradigm, and Def Tech.
    I'm looking for any advice, help, and suggestions.
    Looking foward to hearing from you and learning more in this new adventure of audio crazyness... just wish I had more money to spend the Macintosh system I say was awesome [​IMG]
    Can't wait to hear back from you...
    Shane

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Macks dont sound so much better just last forever.
    Sounds liike you already know what you want , speaker selection is all that is left. With recivers I would look at a speaker that is easy to drive like JBL, Klipsch be sure they are 8 ohm and a sensitivity rating overr 90 db. Personally I use NHT Super Ones on all 5 coorners but they do require power as they are not effecient, however they sound good ( I use Rotel Ampswith a Marantz AV9000 Pre/Pro)
    I think I woould choose one of the 2 I mentioned if uusing a reciever besides I do like JBLs midrange and you can push them with a hair drier I think

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

For receivers I'd look at Sony DA4es, Denon 3802(on closeout), and H/K AVR525 - these should be available around $650 new. As long as the receiver is rated for 4ohm speakers your OK. You can always add a decent separate amp for $300-500 used later on.

For speakers, try Polk LSi-9 fronts and LSi-FX bipolar/dipolar surrounds for about $1350 - run w/out the center speaker as I do. You will be impressed.

B&W 600 series is very nice but it's gonna be hard to find it cheap. I had original 603's and the CDM center and loved them, but the Polk's are significant step up believe it or not. Speakers are a personal preference though, so audition and go with what you like.

4. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

5. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Thank for all the suggestions.. I will check out the Sony and one of the stores in my area as well as the JBL's. Denon has been one of my favorites in the past. I'm a little confused though one person said the get 4ohms.. the other said 8??

I'm looking for a system that will do like 50/50 music and theater. I also would like somthing good for parties and music that has gone through a mixing board. I was told my some B&W don't do this so well but are great for Voice. That is why I'm kinding looking at the paradymes and the Def Techs. I also still havn't been able to decide between the Maratnz 5300 or the Onkyo Integra 5.3

6. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Look for a reciever rated for 4ohm loads and speakers rated at 8ohms. A reciever rated for 4ohms will push a more difficult speaker such as some of the Paridigms. Gneraly speaking 8ohm speakers are easier to drive with most recievers, if your reciever will drive 2 or 4ohm speakers it will have no trouuble with 8 or 16ohm loads, the most common is 8, not a standard but kinda

7. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

Thanks to everyone for the advice.. it has been very helpful.. ACK so hard to make a decision

This is fun

8. Shane Wooten

Shane Wooten Extra

I finally decided on the HK-575.. I found it for a great deal on costco.com, 699. I appreciate all the help.

Talk to you all soon, I will let you know what I think about the HK