I went BIG!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_Hunt, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Jim_Hunt

Jim_Hunt Extra

Well, after much discussion (in my house), I decided to purchase my new HT equipment. We are moving over the next 2 weeks and I indicated to my wife it might be best if we could have the (professional) movers place the 36" direct view upstairs when they bring it instead of up having to hump it up there ourselves later.

Our plan was to wait for our current home to sell and use the cash to do a variety of things including buy my HT equipment. However, I knew I would end up with a MITS and since they are closing out the old models and MITS is offering no payment or interest until 2004, I decided to take the plunge.

I got the WS-65869 HDTV Widescreen. It includes an off-air HDTV tuner and is digital cable ready. I plan on getting a DirecTV HD System soon.

I also decided to get a new Marantz SR-8200 AV Receiver and an Marantz VC-5200 DVD/CD/MP3 Player with 3:2 pulldown and progressive scan of course. I got them from Cambridge SoundWorks. I also picked up an HT speaker set up featuring the 2 T500 Towers, MC500 Front Center, MC300 Rear Center, and 2 S300's for the surround sides.

I hope to build some speakers later but this will get me going for the next 12 months. I like the Marantz electronics and went with the speakers due to a big sale going on with free shipping and no interest and payments for 12 months. (If my current home doesn't sell, I will need one heck of a part-time job next year!)

I am really excited and cannot wait for delivery and setting it up. Of course, I have to move and put away a ton of stuff and move a huge woodworking shop full of commercial size machinery. UGH!

I also need to get an outdoor antenna going for HDTV reception and install and wire the house for 4 DirecTV receivers. I guess there will not be any bicycling going on until after labor day!

2. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

Nice HT! You are helping our economy recover very nicely.
    I think you deserve it after undergoing the trauma of moving[​IMG]

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

It must be nice to get the whole kit-and-kaboodle in one shot. You'll be set. For me, I spent a fortune on the audio side but still have my 35" TV in my setup [​IMG] .
    I don't know much about the speakers you're getting, but I would suspect that if you have a decent interest in music, I'll bet you'll upgrade before too long.
    What about a sub? Did your speaker package include one? You must have a decent sub!
    Doug

4. Jim_Hunt

Jim_Hunt Extra

The speakers have a sub and passive radiator built in with a 300 watt amp on each speaker.

I do plan on begining a speaker building project after I get settled in the new house. I just wanted somethung for the next 12 to 18 months. (I usually listen to music in the car/truck and never at home much. (The wife and I have way different tastes in music, sound, and volume level.))