What's new

I was shushed at the movies! (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It wasn't the still images? It was actual filmed commercials with sound and everything?

.....loud mouth slime bag.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Was this that awful "The 20s," or whatever they call that Entertainment Tonight-style fluff they play in a lot of theaters now? I wouldn't have a problem at all with someone talking through that. It's basically the full-motion equivalent of the slide show, played with the lights fully on when I've seen it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i like the 20. it gives me something to listen to so i don't have to hear loud-mouths like dave yappin in front of me.

thwap!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Shushing during the paid adverts? Are you serious? Put that down with "a case of the Mondays", saying that around here will get you a free opener and giant can of whoop ass to go with it.

All I can say about that guy is: some people deserve to be offended.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
I know the Jimmy Fund ad you spoke of. I usually have to chase down the ushers with the donation cans in order to give some money because I always sit in the middle. Theres one charity I can never say no to and its the Jimmy Fund. The Jordan's Furniture ads before the movies are something I can do without.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

:eek:

You know, someone once referred to me as the most belligerent HTFer he had memory of, and that I needed to stop being so confrontational. It is now time to heed that advice and walk away from the keyboard for a bit. My goodness.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Probably a pre-emptive shh. Just to make sure you would not talk during the movie!:D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I never donate to the movie theater charities, just by default. It's $10 a ticket now where I'm from; surely the theaters can work a deal with the studios to allow a percentage of that to go to the charities directly?

I'd probably even donate a little extra if they did; but if they're showing the greed to keep all of the profits to themselves what motivation do I have?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Same here. If the theater is feeling so charitable, they can contribute a portion of the $20 they charged me for popcorn.

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
During commercials I don't give a crap if someone talks. During previews, I prefer people no talk but I am not going to shush them because ultimately, I am not paying for the previews.

However, once the feature starts I will take action. Usually a menacing look, first and if that doesn't work I will say something.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I think a little quiet talking is ok for previews ("that looks good!", "who would go see that?") when with friends.

During the movie though, I will shush people. I've shushed old ladies, so you know I'm serious! :angry: ( :) )

Adam L - I see you're in Rochester. Greetings from West Henrietta!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave! You mean, people actually live in Henrietta? I though it was a vast expanse of wall to wall malls and strip malls!:)
Alas, RIT has colored my perceptions of everything; the farthest I've been of my own cognition was Marketplace Mall. (And Jay's Diner - how would I survive without thee?) From the little I've seen of the area, most of it's really nice. And for once, Rochester actually has less snow than the rest of the state!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Live" might be a bit gracious for Rochester, but we do exist :) I'm about 5 min south of RIT. I used to live in Crittenden Way Apt; did my grad work at UR.

I'm looking for a roommate, if you know anyone interested in some nice digs a little way from things.

From your disparaging remarks, you must be in Webster, where life is worth living. :D

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't go that far; you know you're in Rochester when you actually look forward those distant holiday get-togethers because they mean blue skies and green grass.;) Still, if winter can hold off like it's been, this might be a bearable season.

To justify this sidetrack: My least favorite thing about going to theaters is going with friends that are the living embodiment of the disrespectful teenage audience. My friend didn't understand the little boy in the beginning turned into Nicholas Cage. I know this because of the loud questions that plagued me a third of the way through the film.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Hmm... talking in theaters.

My thoughts on it are that talking before the lights go down is OK, ditto on the ads. If there is a particularly touching ad like the one mentioned for the cancer center above, well, sadly, not everyone is as sensitive.

A little sound is OK during the previews, as mentioned above, "Cool!" or "Who would want to see that?" is fine with me.

Full blown conversations when the movie is showing, why? Why did you spend the $ (however much theaters charge in your area) to get into this flick if you were just going to talk the whole time? You can talk at home, a friend's place, a family member's place, the mall, a restaurant (need I go on) without paying admission and without risking "theater rage" or shushing. Yes, it is a public place, but common courtesy greases the wheels of civilization.

Here's something to ponder: Why is it called "Common Courtesy" when it isn't really common anymore?

Maybe we should cram the architects who designed these torture chambers into an aisle seat, (strapped in, oc course) with a packed auditorium of a convention of incontinence sufferers and watch how fast they enlarge the damned aisles, Wade. I am actually half glad I am in a wheelchair now and have to sit down front or in the very back and don't have to be uncomfortable:

1. Crammed into a narrow seat with the armrest girders jamming into both legs and hips
2. With a weird back that either collapses at odd moments or creaks with every breath
3. Armrests that are too narrow for a Barbie doll and a hairy stranger with questionable hygiene vying for territory
4. AND no leg room. This last one really irks me because I am fairly tall, and after a while, this really, really hurts!

I often wonder if the reason there is so much chattering in movie theaters these days because so many people are actually saying to someone next to them, "I can't feel my legs. Are they still there?"

SarahG

Second Unit
Can't say I've ever been shushed during the previews at the theatre. I have given some folks some nasty looks though when the talking during the previews carries over to the beginning of the movie...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I'll take that any day over them trying to discretely drop trou, assuming a squating position and using their five gallon tub of popcorn as a makeshift toilet like I witnessed once in Cleveland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks