What's new

I was robbed, DVD's are gone (1 Viewer)

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
Not too sure if this is appropriate for this forum or not but I needed to share with some people who value their movies more than the money they spend on them. I was away camping for three days this and while I was gone, my house was broken into. Among other things, the thieves made off with the six hundred dollars in cash that I had been saving in a coin jar for a trip, my 141 movies as well as my roommates 38. Now, I could care less about the money, of course I'm upset, but my movies mean more to me then anything else I own, my most prized possession I spent three years building.
Nothing is covered under insurance as one of the stipulations of insurance is you have to buy it BEFORE something happens and being a student, I can't afford some things. The police aren't hopeful they'll catch anybody, it looks like they were wearing gloves, but if they did I would trade them anything to have my movies back.
So now I just sit on my couch with the TV off. And I can't stop staring at my empty shelf.
I hate to ask but given that I am at the end of my options, I have to. If there is anything anyone can spare, a couple of dollars or an old movie, I don't think I would have the words to thank you, but I would try.
[email protected]

Scott Shanks

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Shanks
Renter's insurance is VERY inexpensive. You should go get some before something else happens. Sorry about what happened, though. :frowning:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Bastards! I hate thieves, especially DVD thieves.
I have my DVDs in a locked case just in case my parents house is ever broken into... 141 movies, that is just about what I have. I shudder at the thought because I have several DVDs and LDs that CANNOT be replaced (at least for less than $100 each). :frowning:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You come here looking for sympathy...but what you might get is a mob who would string up those bastards who robbed you! :angry:
Contrary to popular belief, most of us here at the forum are not wealthy, or even upper-middle class. We work hard at regular day jobs to finance our love and our hobby. To hear of your story just makes my blood boil.
If those clowns are ever caught, they should put 12 of us on the jury.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Time to check up on renters insurance myself. I got a flier a while back from my bank saying that $20,000 in insurance (plus earthquake) was something like $50 a month, not bad for a little piece of mind.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Lawerence, sorry to hear. Hopefully they get caught. I would also recommend insurance. I pay $240/year for $25,000 in coverage thru State Farm.
I sent you an email.
Peace Out~:D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Sorry to hear about your being robbed.
*@(*#$*(@*@#(*@$&*@(*#(*$$@)BASTARDS!!
Im dread this and fire.
The thought of trying to replace DVDs and CDs is one of my worst fears.I have so many collectable items that would be impossible to replace.
A alarm system is a must!

KyleS

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear about your problems that really pisses us off here and it does happen to memeber every once in awhile. As stated above renters insurance is not very expensive (less then $15 per month for most people. Hopefully they will find the bastards that did it and be sure to keep a close eye on your neighbors and what they have. (maybe it was someone close by that knew what you had).

KyleS

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
My sympathies at your loss and heartbreak. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone, but it's even harder for the proverbial starving college student. I hope you are able to rebuild your collection.

LawrenceZ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for everyone's relies, if makes me feel better knowing that some people understand that to us, they're not 'just movies'. You can bet I'll be getting insurance after this.

Thanks everyone.

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Grrrrrrrrrrr! I'm MAD!

When I was younger my single mother and I lived in New Jersey and also in New York and our home was broken into several times.

Nothing like walking into your home and nothing being there...cept for all the trash and mess the crooks made while cleaning you out. Nothing like seeing your mother huddled up on the floor crying like a baby saying no no no why?????

Man, this brings back memories and very sad ones for me. I remember once the thieves stole my Violin. I was like 9 years old and that hurt me so bad. Not as bad as seeing that one of these kindly thieves not only ate the food we had in the fridge but also ripped up my mothers Bible and wrote curse words in it. God that was p0thetic (pathetic).
I'm so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. It shouldn't happen to ANYONE. There is no excuse for someone thinking they deserve what someone else has no matter how bad their circumstances might be.

Check out your local pawn shops and flea markets for your DVD's. Inquire if any large amounts of DVD's have been sold at one of these local places. And also as someone has mentioned, keep a close eye on your neighbors and sadly those whom you call "friends" because it's usually someone that knows you or lives near you that would know your schedule or that you were out of town.

Good luck.

Eve

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Renter's insurance is VERY inexpensive. You should go get some before something else happens. Sorry about what happened, though.
Depends, I'm also a college student and spend about $11 a month on renter's insurance for my electronics and other possesions. I'm sure a large consideration is made for the area I live though :) granted I do live in the ghetto by ND standards. Hey! there was even a drug raid upstairs!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
My former roommate made off with some of my flicks, too...and bounced a check for his part of the rent.
It sucks. I feel for you.

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
LawrenceZ
141 movies on DVDs robbed is a terrible thing.
I feel sorry of what happened to you :frowning:

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear about that man. I know exactly what you're going through...my wife and I were robbed about a year ago and it's an awful feeling. They took mostly electronics, including my entire DVD collection but fortunately we had renter's insurance so I was able to replace everything. Let me go ahead and suggest as others have already about looking into getting some insurance. It's usually very cheap and definitely worth the peace of mind to know that most everything you own is covered. I know that doesn't help you now but it's worth looking into.

Again, sorry for your loss but just be thankful that it wasn't worse. Neither my wife or I was home when the robbery occurred and just that thought alone really put things in perspective for me.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Are you still a dependent? I was under the impression that your dorm / apartment is covered under your parent's homeowner's insurance policy if you are a college student and dependent.

MichaelG

Second Unit
I also use State Farm (for both auto and renters insurance) and I pay less than $20/month for $20,000 in coverage.

Side note, a young co-wroker was recently robbed from his apt here in Houston, he lost all of his electronics, and no insurance.

Sorry to hear about your loss too.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Keep an eye on the classifieds and any local markets / pawn shops. If you had any rare DVDs (OOP Criterions, etc.) you should post their names. Other forum members in your area might keep an eye out for them as well (then you can notify the police).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks