What's new

I was looking at the Onkyo 9300THX HTIB.. (1 Viewer)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi Shannon,
The advice is still the same (separates are better) but the prices have increased a bit for the Fluance speakers (They are now $374). Fluance also has new speakers that I have never heard and cannot if they are any good. Also, since my post a new company called Lava has been building decent inexpensive subs. Lava owners seem to be very happy.
I personally would not spend $1000 on an all in one system. If I had that much, I would either wait until I had more to do it right or I would piece together a system like I recommended. I did that exact thing a 8 or so years ago. I purchased a clearance HK receiver, a clearance Velodyne sub, and the Fluance speakers. I upgraded a couple years later.
However, if you are getting an HTiB, Onkyo and Denon are your best bets.

dexter419

Auditioning
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you for the info.
I went to Frys yesterday to look at a few seperate pieces, and they had just setup the 9400 to a 3D tv, and it sounded good!.
I bought it, and let me tell you, I am not an audiophile, but I am pretty impressed wit hthe clearness that comes through the system. The one thing that sold me was not having to run the TV and ps3 in order to listen to Pandora or stream my music from my medai server.
The speaker wire for this system is a joke, but I already had a pre wired yamaha system so I just used that wire for the surround,center and fronts. I had to use the wire included with the system for the front highs, and there is a difference and it is ore than expected.
The only complaint I have so far is that I discovered is the sub is way underpowered... I am not sure if it is the cheap (Super thin) sub cable, but that is going to be replaced today.
I already have a lot of RCA cables here, but is this a particualr cable? Will any RCA cable work or does it need to be a sub cable?
Please advise.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I already have a lot of RCA cables here, but is this a particualr cable? Will any RCA cable work or does it need to be a sub cable?
Please advise.
You did not give a system number - Assuming that it is the Onkyo HT-S9400THX - but for normal sub cables, yes - any RCA cable would work. Even if you wanted to get a better cable for the job, you can find a good 12' cable at monoprice for only $4.66 - so don't break the bank.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2682&seq=1&format=2
A lot of times, the HTIB systems use priority cables and/or hookups - and if that is the case, then you are out of luck. If it looks like an RCA female input to the sub, then you should be OK with any RCA cable. It could also just be a setup issue.
Make sure you have the sub turned to ON on your receiver - and if it has a sub level, you may have to turn up the level on the receiver if the sub has an auto-on function. Looking up that system, you do have a powered sub, where you can turn up the output level at the sub itself. Again - a lot of these HTIB systems tend to have not the greatest subs with them. Also ensure that the sub is plugged into the wall, as a powered sub needs some power....
The only complaint I have so far is that I discovered is the sub is way underpowered... I am not sure if it is the cheap (Super thin) sub cable, but that is going to be replaced today.
Found an add for that system - just to double check that it does have a powered sub.

The RCA cable itself transfers the signal at various levels, but unless there is some interferance going on - the subs internal amp supplys the power....
If you are not happy with the bass response - then it looks like a sub upgrade will be the first on your list...
I was able to find a sub spec - 12" down firing sub with 125 watt amp.....it indeed seems like this is where they tried to save some $$$

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Most HTiBs have terrible subs. Which is why you want one that doesn't have the sub so you can add your own.

dexter419

Auditioning
Real Name
Shannon
Thanks for the info on the cable. Yes it is the 9400THX, and the sub is powered with a standard, yet thnner than pencil lead Line in RCA cord. I think that switching it out or something more robust will help.
The sub is on and is working, but it is not as powerful as I want. Sub upgrade will be in order soon. Then the old sub can hopefully run in parrellel from behind the couch for a little more thump.
I was reading about people using RG5 coaxial cable with phono (rca) adapters as sub lines and having great results. Sounds logical as there is a lot morew sheilding there.. I may give that a shot as well as I have the cable and it is $12 for the two adapters at rat shack.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
dexter419 said:
Thanks for the info on the cable. Yes it is the 9400THX, and the sub is powered with a standard, yet thnner than pencil lead Line in RCA cord. I think that switching it out or something more robust will help.
The sub is on and is working, but it is not as powerful as I want. Sub upgrade will be in order soon. Then the old sub can hopefully run in parrellel from behind the couch for a little more thump.
I was reading about people using RG5 coaxial cable with phono (rca) adapters as sub lines and having great results. Sounds logical as there is a lot morew sheilding there.. I may give that a shot as well as I have the cable and it is $12 for the two adapters at rat shack.
That cable provides signal only, no power. Upgrading to a better cable will not increase the output of the sub. You can get a decent coaxial 75 ohm analog RCA cable for the sub for a few dollars, so even spending $12 on the adapters is kind of a waste since there is little difference between a RCA coax and a RG59 / RG6 cable.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2680&seq=1&format=2

dexter419

Auditioning
Real Name
Shannon
Thanks for the input. I realize that the cable will not imporvethe volume or depth of the sub, I was just thinking that I may not be getting the best of signals through this cable. If you own a wii the cable for the sub is close to the width of the one for the IR sensor... It is that thin!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Move the sub around the room a bit to see if it sounds better. Location makes a huge difference with lower frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks