What's new

International I Was a Male War Bride (1950) Blu Ray- 2/23/18 (1 Viewer)

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
German release, looks legit. Most likely Region B locked.

https://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_n...=Ich+war+eine+männliche+Kriegsbraut+[Blu-ray]

81ICltCxJ3L._SX466_.jpg

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Too bad it's Region 2 only. And as the DVD is Fox, we'll have to hope it gets licensed out for a Region 1 release.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
This one is near the top of my wishlist. I hope it gets picked up for a North American release.

I wish someone was tracking all these classic US and British movies that are released overseas. A convenient thread listing these with pertinent information like region locking information and if the original English audio is available, would come in handy.

I often bring up the thread here that tracks North American releases for pre-1990 films, that Brandon Conway keeps regularly maintained. Been a great help, but something dedicated to imports of classic English language movies available overseas would be a great supplement that complements the other list well.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I wish someone was tracking all these classic US and British movies that are released overseas. A convenient thread listing these with pertinent information like region locking information and if the original English audio is available, would come in handy.

I often bring up the thread here that tracks North American releases for pre-1990 films, that Brandon Conway keeps regularly maintained. Been a great help, but something dedicated to imports of classic English language movies available overseas would be a great supplement that complements the other list well.

There is:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...eased-in-the-us-uk-or-oz.355760/#post-4566447

But it doesn't seem to get much traction.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I wouldn't be surprised if this is a future Twilight Time release in the US.

I would almost think Kino would be more likely. As best I can tell, the new German disc is going to be sourced from the same HD master that was previously available on streaming sites, which was created as the source for the original DVD. This would seem to fit Kino's release strategy - they seem more willing to release older HD masters while Twilight seems to be focusing more on newer transfers these days. While it's not a brand new 4K scan with state of the art cleanup, I did think the streaming version looked fine (as did the DVD), and I'd be inclined to upgrade this at some point. I may just pick up this German version the next time I'm doing an order from Germany.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I haven't looked at my DVD recently, but I guess I need to in order to see if this would be worth importing. Being region free gives us that privilege.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
I would almost think Kino would be more likely. As best I can tell, the new German disc is going to be sourced from the same HD master that was previously available on streaming sites, which was created as the source for the original DVD. This would seem to fit Kino's release strategy - they seem more willing to release older HD masters while Twilight seems to be focusing more on newer transfers these days. While it's not a brand new 4K scan with state of the art cleanup, I did think the streaming version looked fine (as did the DVD), and I'd be inclined to upgrade this at some point. I may just pick up this German version the next time I'm doing an order from Germany.
I would think not, since I thought this was a Fox-owned movie, and my impression was that Kino has no more Fox films licensed (and with the sale to Disney, it would be unlikely anytime soon).
I was thinking same thing, Probably next year for its 70th Anniversary. It has a new 4k remaster as does Monkey Business.
Monkey Business is unlikely from Twilight Time, since I asked them on FB a while back if they had any Ginger Rogers movies in the pipeline, and they responded with a flat "no" (of course, this was back in late August, and things *might* have changed since then).

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
I'll be eagerly awaiting this in a Region A release. Any chance to own a movie in HD my grandfather was in is always welcome!

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD

There is a new 4k remaster. It is a title that seems like TT would release.

http://www.parkcircus.com/films/27979-i-was-a-male-war-bride.

Last edited:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Fox, per Nick, has put a hold on licensing future titles. Unless this was already spoken for by TT and is in the current pipeline, I wouldn't hold my breath.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Fox, per Nick, has put a hold on licensing future titles. Unless this was already spoken for by TT and is in the current pipeline, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Everything they have already licensed is still in play. Newly requested titles are on hold. The deal they have in place runs until the end of December 2020.

The Disney deal is not set in stone, Comcast has also made a bid for 20th Century Fox. This could all go on into the next year.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
TT does not have it, as replied to someone on its facebook page. I do not know why this German release would not use the new 4k master available.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Has anyone seen the images I posted in the link? :unsure:
it does look like a 4K scan, though without an optimal encoding which would make it look even better.

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
I watched my copy this week with a Epson 4K pixel-shifting projector and the quality was quite stunning for an almost 70-year old film.

The contrast looked great with striking blacks. Some of the stock footage wasn't up to that, but overall a really striking transfer!

Users who are viewing this thread