What's new

I want to use an HDMI dvd player with the Infocus X-1, however... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The X-1 doesn't have a DVI input on it, just a VGA input that can carry hi-def signals, my question is does there exist an HDMI-to-VGA cable that I could buy to accomplish the same end result as HDMI-to-DVI?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
You would have to acquire a translator, and they are technically banned by the HDMI-HDCP license agreement. Search the pinned "HD-DVD is HDMI only?" thread for "Dtrovision" for more information.

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I have the same problem with my DVB-318. I have an Epson 5300 SVGA projector, and can't even use component because it won't even take 480p over Component (I bought it because it had Faroudja and I would try to see what looked better 480p or 720p on the projector). Ended up using it connected via SVideo :frowning:

The best thing I can do to improve my resolution is set the DVD player to 16x9 and use the projector's "resize" button to do the vertical squeeze, which actually does make a noticable difference in my PQ.

I also bought a $75 dollar (piece of junk) "Progressive Scan Component to VGA adapter" that was basically sold as a way to use XBox/GameCube on a VGA monitor. Totally stunk, washed out picture, etc. Wast of money.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's amazing to me the zany things people are willing to try to somehow magically get a 480i source to look better..

People. DVD is 480i. About all that can be done to make it look best is good deinterlacer/line doubling. All this additional processing is so much electronic overkill.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Christopher,
i've seen what 1080i looks like on this projector, and you'd be surprised at how good it looks, not full hi-def obviously, but it looks sweet nontheless.

And guys, I KNOW that dvd is 480p, that's basic dvd knowledge, I simply failed to remember that HDMI delivers a purly digital signal and my X-1's VGA input is analog.

Also, I have my dvd player connected through the VGA with componant, so right now i'm getting a 480p image. Lastly, it's not "zany", it's brainstorming to try to get a better image, that's all we're about here.

Philip,
so an HDMI dvd player connected via a DVI input on a quality monitor doesn't look any better than standard 480p connected through componant cables? I've neverseen an HDMI dvd player in action, so I honestly don't know.

MikeCB

Grip
Not to get too off-topic here, but I think what Philip said was right in regards to DVD being 480i. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the actual video itself stored on the DVD in an interlaced format? It's the player itself that upconverts it to a progressive signal to feed to an enhanced or high-definition TV.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
John, what DVD player are you using with your X1's VGA input? Have you tried running it in interlaced mode hooked up to the X1's S-video input? Unless you have a high end DVD player, most people get a better image using their DVD player in interlaced mode, and letting the X1's Faroudja do it's thing. I've tried 3 different players with my X1, and they all look better in interlaced mode.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
DVD uses MPEG-2 video compression, which was originally developed for the Super Video CD, and later merged with the abortive MPEG-3 compression format intended for TV broadcasts and High Definition. The short answer is, it's a native interlaced format, with various workarounds for progressive-sourced material.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No typo. DVD is a 480i format. There is the possibility of the data stream specifying how to deinterlace to 480p, but from what I've read that is not reliably and consistently used.

HDMI sends the signal all digital, it's not converted to analog. So yes, theoretically it may look better than a signal that's gone through digital to analog then analog to digital conversion. However, practically how much of a real difference there is is quesionable.

I've read people wax poetic about how wonderful their favorite particular upscaling gimmick makes DVD look. And I've read people try the same combination and be dissapointed that the huge differences weren't there.

Bottom line if you have an X1, you want to run analog component 480i for DVD. It will look excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks