What's new

I want to share my experience with you guys (1 Viewer)

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
I´m a HT fanatic, I love to be on my TV room watching my favorite movies, I have a humble set up, let me tell you, 51" widescreen sony TV, Mitsubishi PS DVD player, and a sony receiver with a 5.1 speaker system,video signal goes to tv by monster component cables, audio by coaxial, I´ve always loved the way almost every movie looks on my tv screen; since I begun to read about issues like, progressive scan, chroma bug, compression artifacts, video scaling algorythms, etc, I started to notice all kind of artifacts and flaws while watching movies, changing a pleasure for a torture, I´m not a videophile nor I have a very sophisticated gear at home but I think we often read so much information that we begin to compromise the pleasure of a hobby for an exagerated techniscism, I recently visited Bjoern´s place www.videophile.info (a videophile that makes excellent reviews), I´d never noticed such a difference in my set up about superbit and not SB titles and please!, who watches still scenes for finding detail and or flaws?
I´m in a controversy now, a personal crisis, knowing all that kind of technicalia can ruin a truly wonderful hooby :frowning:

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
It was the same way for me when I first discovered what Edge Enhancement was and how to spot it. Even on a small TV I was noticing it everywhere and it was ruining my movie-watching experience.

Eventually I just kind of "got over it" and started enjoying the movie instead of nit-picking the transfer. Try and concentrate on the actual film instead of the PQ and you should be fine.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Makes me glad I never researched the "technicallia" side of DVD viewing. I still don't know what the widely talked about "chroma bug" is (or do I care,so dont tell me:))

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I refuse to let technical matters interfere with the whole point of this hobby. Movies. As such, I try not to read too much about technological problems and such.

:)

Just do what Matt did. "Get over it". Stop looking for the ERRORS and just watch the flick. :)

PS - Since when is a 51" widescreen "humble"? Holy tap-dancin' jeebus! I "only" have a 32" TV. If your setup is humble, I'd hate to think what mine is! ;)

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
I'm not saying it's a great thing to do....but STOP reading forums like this one. simple....yet you would miss out on essential information that DOES make building a dvd collection a happy experience. but really, being part of a forum like this:

#1. makes you aware of both good and bad things....

#2. ....and makes you buy way more dvds!!!!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I absolutely cannot see EE!

I've read through the EE guide on that site a few times, and it does nothing to help me see the EE. Heck, I really can't tell the difference between the zoomed out versions of picture A and picture B in the EE guide of the site.

Oh well. If I can't see it, then it isn't going ruin my movie-watching experience, which is definitely a good thing. :D

Joel C

Screenwriter
have a humble set up, let me tell you, 51" widescreen sony TV, Mitsubishi PS DVD player, and a sony receiver with a 5.1 speaker system,video signal goes to tv by monster component cables, audio by coaxial
That's a "humble" set-up?

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't consider a 51 inch widescreen set humble
either. I'm another one who has an archaic 32 inch
4X3 set (I would love to get a 16X9 television, but
no money). This is a very basic question, so please
don't throw too many tomatoes, but WHAT EXACTLY IS EDGE
ENHANCEMENT???? Would I notice this on a 4X3 set, or
is this special to 16X9 sets?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't consider a 51 inch widescreen set humble
I think I understand what Eduardo means. I have a 47" Panny widescreen and an onkyo 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS setup, and while I really get a lot of enjoyment out of it(and it's great for the limited amount of space I have), it doesn't compare to some of the folks in this forum who have a wonderful front projection system with a mammoth 80" screen and seperates for audio equipment. So while what folks like Eduardo and I have is definitely great, it doesn't compare to the real high end systems that are out there.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
80 inches!! Wow, that is huge! I didn't realize there were any TV's in existance that big. I thought the biggest you could get is 60. Oh well. Some people do have projectors, of course, and you can buy 50 foot screens for those if you have the space.

I definitely would not consider a 51 16x9 television a humble setup either. Mine is a humble 27 inch. Not even a flatscreen.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Edge enhancement is a halo surrounding objects due to artificial sharpening of the picture. Some describe it as a ringing effect.

It's most noticable when a dark oject is contrasted against a brighter one, and some DVDs have much more EE than others.

You can notice it on any set, 4:3 or 16:9. My advice to you is don't ever go looking for it because once you spot it you can't "unlearn" the ability to recognize it.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I have to agree with Eduardo, here. I too, used to be perfectly happy with torn-up, chewed-up VHS tapes and the sound coming out of my TV speakers. I enjoyed movies so much, it became my one and only major hobby.

I now have a 65" Widescreen Mits RP HDTV. I also became a DVD reviewer for my own website. I can clearly see major flaws with most DVDs. I no longer truly enjoy the art of watching my favourite movies. Even though I no longer do any reviewing of any kind, I can't help but notice so many flaws. Pixelation, Edge Enhancement, Color Bleeding, Chroma Noise, Block Noise, Compression Artifacts, etc.

Even when I'm not trying to look for these flaws and just "enjoy" the movie, I simply can not do so. My eyes immediately look at the flaws, and I can not immerse myself into the film like I used to be able to, before I started reviewing.

I can't wait until the day HD-DVDs arrive. Hopefully they'll have far less problems, and I could go back to enjoying movies like I used to.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i really do feel studios have let us down in the PQ department. i've seen some extremely impressive transfers (even back in 98/99 - and some of them MGM budget titles) so it is possible to make DVD look much better than it
does. but i think it's more down to the individual people working on the transfers than some company wide policy about how to execute the transfer process.

i've always wondered whether a lackluster transfer is just an attempt to generate another market for a later release. titles like gangs of new york (which looks like crap) would be one such title. now there's a dvd to demo EE.

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
why is there edge "enhncement" to begin with? I think i heard it has something to do with the downconversion dvd players do.. if this is so , with so many more HDTV sets being sold (at least where I work.. they sell tons)..shouldnt there be less and less DVDs now that have this problem?

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
Thank you Matt for the Edge Enhancement explanation. :)

I guess it would be more noticeable if you focused on
one part of the picture, or tried to look at the screen
when there are contrasting objects in contrasting
lighting situations. Somebody mentioned how much
edge enhancement Gangs Of New York has. That would
be a difficult movie to produce a flawless picture-
there are alot of shots in darkness with specific
lighting on faces.

I'll just take your advice, Matt, and not try to
pick it out or look for it. ;)

EduardoBonifaz

Stunt Coordinator
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have a humble set up, let me tell you, 51" widescreen sony TV, Mitsubishi PS DVD player, and a sony receiver with a 5.1 speaker system,video signal goes to tv by monster component cables, audio by coaxial
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a "humble" set-up?

Thanks for the comment Larry!, that´s what I really mean, beside It´s a fine piece of equipment, a 51" has nothing to do beside a 70" plasma screen coupled to an arcam or camelot top of the line dvd player, or a front projector with a HTPC, separates and a speaker system where only the sub costs more than my TV!

I´m happy to realize that I´m not the only one complaining about "acute video imperfectionitis" (I´m a doctor by the way), , and for anyone who wants to know more about edge enhancement and other artifacts visit "www.videophile.info", but If you are happy with your actual movie watching experience, don´t go there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks