What's new

I want to set my fronts to 'large', but the problem is... (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
...I don't have the Video Essentials dvd, just Avia and it doesn't have a 'sub only' test tone on it, so I can't calibrate my sub independant of the front speakers, but I know VE Does have a test like this.
How would I go about this until I can get a copy of VE? Is it possible to use a combination of Avia and the THX Optimode on one of my dvd's? It has a dedicated subwoofer test tone. Using Avia I could calibrate my five speakers to 80 dbs, and then pop in THX optimode, and set my sub to match my other speakers using it's sub test tone. Would that give me an accurate enough reading as compared to the sub-only test on VE?
I hope this not too confusing, any help would be appreciated.
------------------
The Multi Channel Animal's truly, madly, deeply in love with Estella Warren!

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
You need VIDEO ESSENTIALS...essentially. :)
PS - Jon, the HDTV (ready) is going back.
------------------
LuvLBX

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This is one of the many areas where the Video Essential Laserdisc really is wonderful. It's got a ful PCM stereo sound track. When I recently arranged my complicated bass management situation this helped me greatly, actually I don't know what I would have done without it.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

John H

Second Unit
Turn of all DSP processing and THX post processing off.
Set all your channels to the same SPL level with the speaker setup tones. 85dB SPL if you are looking for the reference level mark.
Use one of your channels set to small with the alternating high and low frequencies under subwoofer setup. Match their levels by adjusting the subwoofers level only.
This will set your subwoofers level as well as calibrate your LFE channel.
John
------------------
Link Removed

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks a bunch guys, but I got her kickin now. I basically just calibrated ALL of my speakers with the THX Optimode on the T2 UE, sounds great!
------------------

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
John H has the proper calibration method for Avia and large mains. You don't need VE at all. Set all speakers to small and set your levels and when you change back to large, the sub will still be at the proper level. You can double-check your speaker levels (because they may change slightly from bass from the center and surround being redirected to your mains and not the sub, depending on your receiver). In my experience, the levels shouldn't change by much, if at all. Avia does this to aid in detecting incorrect bass management for each channel and potential phase problems. While it does not have a dedicated tone for LFE adjustment, it does have a dedicated LFE bass frequency sweep that will help you, which you can find in the Verification/Evaluation section.
Note: You should also leave all channels set to small when doing the subwoofer phase tests to adjust phase, since this matches the phase of your mains to your sub using the cancellation at the crossover point.
THX Optimode is not good to use for general calibration because the Optimode tones are often specific to each disc. They are used to match your system to the mastering on that particular disc, not as an all-purpose calibration. Try using the Optimode on two different discs and you'll see what I mean.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Jeremy, after I calibrated with Avia I then put in the THX mode and the reading I got on the meter didn't change, so I set my sub level with the THX mode and tried out quite a few of my dvd's and they all sounded just beutiful.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread