I want to prewire my house for DSS

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Kane, Nov 30, 2001.

1. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

The question is fishing cables in an existing house's living room wall for the future.

I plan to have my hi-fi store tech go into the attic to wire up my surrounds. While he's there, I cud prewire for satellite later. But I dont plan on looking at HDTVs for a year.

For satellite, I prefer Dish to DTV. As I understand it, Dish/Echostar requires two dishes, one for the HD bird, yes? (But Echostar is spozed to put up a new sat in the near future, right? and that might mean just one dish?

Anyway, to prewire from the attic into the house, how many runs of RG6 -- 4 or 6. And do I want RG6 Quad. Do installers use RG59? Are all of these cables terminated with F connectors?

(edit: I dont think DSS is the correct term in my header, but you get the idea)

2. Mark Rogo

Mark Rogo Extra

DBS would've been a close to perfect term, but no matter at all :).

I would go for six runs to the roof. Eventually, you may need 3 different LNBs and two cables to each one. I would buy the best RG-6 that is spec-ed for satellite. Also, you might consider running one more wire for an antenna if you can get locals via antenna (I'm thinking digital/HD here, not regular old analog OTA).

Mark

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Mark, Robert, thx.

I'll be checking the dbsforum, too, along the way so hopefully when I get there I won't be drafting one o' those "Help..." posts.

Shouldnt be difficult since I'm only going for one video monitor, one STB w/ OTA module, and mebbe PVR501 will be upgraded by then.

bill

5. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I only see a need for a max of 3 runs to the roof. 2 for dish and 1 for antenna. If you need more than 2 receivers, you don't add extra dishes, you go with one of the products listed at http://www.smarthome.com/dss.html, such as this 3x8 multi-switch. You can cascade them for up to 40 receivers on a single dish. At $130 per 8 receivers, it's pretty darn cheap.
    As for the runs to the rest of the house, typical structured wiring spec calls for 2 RG6 per room. I ran 4. Two for satellite, one for cable/antenna/whatever, and one extra. In my HT/Living room, I ran 12 - 6 on one side of the room and 6 on the other, as well as enough audio to support 24 signals (12 stereo), and at least 15 runs of cat5 for phone, networking, & security applications.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I had the installer run dual RG6 from the roof even for 1 receiver and ran it to a corner of a central bedroom.

From this central location, I ran dual runs of RG6 to each room and dual runs of Cat5 network cable in a "star" pattern.

Later, I found some "Smart Home" cable that has dual RG6 and dual Cat5 cable in 1 bundle.

At this central location I also ran my CATV feed. Now it's a simple matter of a splitter/jumpers to run the DBS signal to any room and CATV. This is also where I mounted my network router.

I'm with Ryan on this one: when in doubt - run extra. The wire is cheap compared to the cost/hassle of running the wire.