What's new

I want to PORT the AV15? Don't you? (1 Viewer)

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone,
Right now, I am running an Adire Aligned Tempest, "goosed" with 400watts...quite the performer, but after lurking here for too long :) I need the upgrade. I am looking right now at a Crown Macrotech 2400, which is basically mine...so I need some upgrade options. I REALLY WANT to get a 2 AV 15's ...and I WANT to PORT THEM...basically ... by foregoing the PR18's(4 of them) ... i paid for this AMP. So, I want to know the best way to port them. I am looking for extension to somewhere around 20Hz, as thier purposes are doubled as a HT/music...(yes rap music).
Please help me out here.
The way I look at it:
I was floored when I first saw the prices of the AV series, but the more I read, the less impressed I was...basically you need to get PR's for these to make them work...please tell me otherwise....help me out everyone....THANK YOU ... Jim Walter

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
SURE you can port them! You didnt mention if you were putting both of them in one large enclosure or making two sepatate subs though. If you are making one large box then its a piece of cake to port them because you have the extra room for longer ports. For example: if you made a 350L enclosure and wanted to tune to around 20 Hz you could go with 3ea 4" flared ports at around 18"-19" long or 2ea 6" ports at around 27" long. The resonant frequency is still above the frequencies the sub will play and the ports will fit inside that large enclosure just fine.

The problem is when you want to put a single driver in a smaller enclosure of about 143 liters. At that point your ports are just too long to fit inside the enclosure for that tuning frequency so PR's are the easiest route. BUT, you can still port if you wanted to make a slot port and wrap it around the enclosure. Its not the easiest construction meathod but it can be used if you dont want to use PR's.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I'd be looking at the 6" Aeroport flares from NewFoam for the AV15. They run about $50 a pair, so it will add $100 to your cost. But would be well worth the investment. I also think the 6" ones are a special order deal, so you'll have to wait a while for them.
Link Removed

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There's some misconception about certain drivers "needing" PR's to make them "work"..which really is never the case. Certain drivers do need smaller boxes for flatter alignments, and this makes it really tough to fit all but the smallest-diameter ports in the enclosure. Small ports will will not allow a driver to reach its potential...but they'll still "work" up to a certain volume level (usually a waste of a driver, imo). With PR's, it's easy to tune really low and still have adequate volume of the resonator...no noise/compression up to the limits of the driver you paid for.
Having said that, the AV15 doesn't really "need" a small box, and I like it in 200 liters tuned to 18Hz with a 6" flared port (the ones Dustin referenced) about 30" long. This should work just great with very little port noise/compression up to really silly volume levels.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I don't know how low you want to tune it or what dimensions you have to work with but a 200L box tuned to 19Hz would need something like a 6" wide x 3" high x 16" long slot port. If you want it bigger go 7" wide x 4" high x 25" long.
BTW - this looks real good. Pretty flat with an F3 of 20Hz. At 400 watts SPL should be ~113 db @ 30Hz & that's without room gain!
Just something to consider :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
No, I don't want to port it! I want a sealed, LT'd Tumult! Sorry, I had to get that off of my chest. :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

No, I don't want to port it! I want a sealed, LT'd Tumult!
you and about 7 others that had LT's designed for the tumult
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

A

Anthony_Gomez

it would truely suck it specs changed substantially, or if the tumult turns to vapor ware.
...BUT...I do not believe that either of the above will happen.
it is just an unexpected, MF-PITA wait. :angry:
..luckily, I am not waiting for one anymore since I choose another more immediate route....but I feel for the guys who are:frowning:

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, well 200L to 19Hz "sounds" great. How about this: Looking at the dimensions of the slot Chris mentioned, would it be posssible to use the front of the sub, which I have the idea of 18" wide...making the inside 16.5" ... so the port would be 16" wide by 3" high, and back 6" into the enclosure....how does taht sound. Thank YOU ALL so much for all this help, I really appreciate it(but I am sure my neighbors won't)!!!!

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks