I want to make some small four speaker line arrays using Tang Bang W3-871S 3"ers...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joel X, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Joel X

Joel X Stunt Coordinator

I want to make some small four speaker line arrays using Tang Bang W3-871S 3"ers because they don't need a crossover. Since i'm not an expert speaker builder yet this seems like it could be fun. I am curious what some no no's are of line arrays and what I can expect from this project. My plans are to purchase sixteen of these little things so I can make four monitors.

I want to do this half for fun, half for better sound at my computer which I plan on acquiring a used receiver for, hopefully a flagship model for better amps and gold plating... I'm open to any input since i'm at the early stages.

[​IMG]

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Hehe, that doesn't seem like it would be a beginner's project but I can give you one "do".

1. Make sure the drivers line up like on a vertical axis and arn't spaced too far away from eachother.

Now just ask somebody for a crossover design and then the internal volume of the box and tuning and there you GO. [​IMG]

3. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Well good to see another newbee getting the bug.
    After you do the 871S I will swear you will get the bite of the DIY bug.

The 871S is a very good driver for the starter.
    Run 2 and make a 1.5 ELF like CSS were you got the photo above.
    The 1.5 is a very hard to beat design for the little money.
    If you want more than 2 of them I will say a good person to contact for lines is Dr jim Griffin.
    [email protected]
    He just finished the line array that uses 16 per side of the 871S.
    And I know of no one else that has his knowledge in the DIY about arrays.

Good luck.

Al

4. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

If you go ahead and do the 4-driver line arrays, cross over at about 250 Hz and use 4 of the 4" 'Mini Subwoofers' (#264-824) that Parts Express sells, also made by Tang Band, to get the frequency response down to 55 Hz for good integration with a subwoofer. The TB 3's only have 0.5mm Xmax, so the 4's with their 3mm excursion and response down to 55 Hz will add the necessary weight to the sound.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-824

5. AllanRW

AllanRW Second Unit

Funny you posted that, I have just worked out a simple first order for that combo.

C1 24uf
    L1 .54mh
    with a zoble 3ohm and a 24uf , with no BS on the drivers as I am using the CLIO fiile from Darren at PE and these have a rising responce of 6-8db in the low end.
    So with a 6" wide cabinet and this filter you will be in the ball park to start.

Al