What's new

I want to learn more about these GR Research Kits... (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Seem's like these can be some amazing bang for buck. My initial plan was...

Axiom M22Ti
Axiom VP150
Axiom QS8

With M22Ti Stands it comes out to $1720 Canadian

Now through creative sounds I could do a AV 5 speaker setup using ANY of the models (1/2/3) and I could still come WELL under the budget of the Axiom setup. What is the most highly regarded speaker in the AV series? What do these things compete with? I would be doing the Sonicap upgrade as well as the B5 upgrade. I really need some feedback on these speakers. Thanks!

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Not being mean here but do a search on these forums. You'll find more info than you can read on the GR-A/V speakers. Here is a quick wrap-up of what I would do:
  1. A/V-2 for all 5 speakers
  2. Do the sonicap upgrade, well worth it
  3. skip the BH-5 and save the $150 it would take for all 5 speakers, you will not notice any difference between it and polyfil with the A/V-2s.[/list=1]

Ronnie

george king

Supporting Actor
I would agree with Ronnie, get the caps upgrade, well worth it. I have the blackhole 5 in my AV-1s and I think it made a subtle difference.

As to the best, I would have said the AV-2, but the AV-3 was resdesigned, and Danny loves it, and some of the reports from the DIY shows suggest that it may be even better than the AV-2, but I have not heard it.

Suffice it to say, that I love my AV-1s, and would not trade them for anything, well, maybe a some AV-3s

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I notice your in Canada. If yur any where near niagara falls area your welcome to demo my av2's with sonicap upgrade. By the way my av2's replaced my v2 studio 40's and I found it to be an upgrade.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Shawn, that's awesome to know. I am def going with GR Research. I have a few questions though, when you purchased the A/V-C did it have different instructions then the A/V-2's? Also, would you suggest doing A/V-2 all around? or would the A/V-1's be better suited for surround? Thanks!

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
The only difference there is between the A/V-2 and the A/V-C is the port location. If you are not placing the A/V-C in a cabinet, you can just build it as a A/V-2 and put it on its side. The only reason the A/V-C is ported on the front instead of the back is to keep the bass reinforcement produced by the port from being lost inside an Armoire or cabinet.

I ported mine of the front because it is placed in my Armoire. The one I built for a friend was ported on the back because he suspended it in the open above his RP-TV. I also redesigned it a little and angled the front by 10 degrees so it would direct the sound towards the seated listener. I kept the internal volume the same. An easier way to do this is to just prop up the back of the center channel with rubber door stops.

A/V-C build

A/V-1 will work fine for rears if you want to save some money. I have them for my fronts right now and they will be my rears when I build some A/V-2s for my fronts.

Link Removed
A/V-1s finished

You can also use an A/V-1 as your center but it needs to stay vertical and not be put on its side like the A/V-C is.

Ronnie

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Wouldnt putting the AV2 on it's side be bad? Also, did you build those cabinets yourself? If so that's quite impressive!

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
ArthurJ,

I am building av2's all around. I originally ordered the regular av2 without the cap upgrade. I then ordered a shielded av2 that will go infront of, and below my RPTV. When I ordered the last set(had to order as funds were available) I got them with the sonicaps upgrade and just switched it out with the original crossovers in my av2's upfront. the sonicaps are worth it.

Right now I'm still working on the centre and surrounds and my subs and fronts are working but are still just nekid MDF/primer:b I am a bit slow as work takes up too much time mostly working on them on weekends once and a while.

And Ronnie's work is quite impressive :emoji_thumbsup:

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
ArthurJ,
For my home theater I have the AV3 fronts and an AV3 center with sonicaps and AV1 surrounds without the caps and a sub. For music the AV3 fronts truly disappear and create a great sound stage. For those that don't know, the AV3 is an 8 ohm tower speaker with a transmission line port. The AV3 center channel is a shielded 8 ohm. The AV2 is a 4 ohm speaker. I purchased the speaker kits with the front baffles and built the rest of the cabinets myself. The baffles come with the speaker holes cut and magnetically attached grills. This saved a lot of time for me and those grills are really cool.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Ah shit, that just blows my budget out of the water now. I was really hoping that was per pair. Oh well, now I have to look elsewhere!

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Arthur, I build the cabinets also, and they are very fairly priced, given that we're not a volume production shop with NC-routers punching our hundreds of cabinets per week, or worse, having them built off-shore. There are many hours of hard labor involved in building cabinets like the A/V-3's. I'm finishing a pair now that I've done in rosewood veneer and a hand-rubbed multi-coat "oil" finish.
Buy the pair of baffle halves with the pre-finished grill frames and build the cabinets your self and stay on a tight budget. Take your time to do it right and you'll be happy with the results.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
BTW, if you want baffles, I've got a ton of them and am seriously considering selling them cheap since they're taking up room and I'm not getting many orders for finished enclosures these days.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Brain, are you into building anything? If so I need you to build me an enclosure for my 15A.22. Blueprint is right here...

http://www.edesignaudio.com/im2/boxc...c%20sealed.jpg

How much would it cost me for you to build this in 3/4" Baltic Birch? Have you done any previous work for car audio enclosures? I would need the hole cut to, along with installed terminals. You can PM me the quote. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks