What's new

I want to do this for a Job (1 Viewer)

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I really had no idea where to post this, after hours? no it's for off-topic stuff.....
so Im trying here :emoji_thumbsup:

I am really interested in this whole world of TV's and Electronics. I love messing with stuff and modifying it,I had a generic 4 speaker surround setup rigged to my bedroom tv when I was 10 (i took the tv apart and spliced the audio wires and hooked them up through there, it worked real good):emoji_thumbsup:

Anyways, where do I start? what kind of jobs are there? The only job that I know there remotely is, is ISF calibrating. Which sounds fun also.....
(and I dont want to sell TV's at best buy)

Any ideas??? Help me find a direction in life:D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am looking into a job selling high end AV /automation systems. Instead of the DIY aspect which this forum helps immensely, people who want a 'turn-key' kick ass system. Not sure if it's for me since I have been an engineer for 20 years and this is mainly sales

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The best job I heard about too late was the person who was Liv Tyler's dresser on Lord of the Rings. Apparently she was sewn, naked, into her costume daily. I always hear about the good jobs after they're already taken.;)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I would love to be a home theater architect too. I have no clue how to go about it. I loved the series in SGHT and thought that my perfect job. Then I saw the math! Yikes! Nevertheless, it would be enlightening to find out just what is required for schooling and certification.

I wonder if Russ ever visits here?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I have a EE degree and can tell you that it has little to do with Home Theater. Sure, you can calculate the impedance of a speaker, etc. but when it comes to building a room, EE will not get you very far.

The majority of money is made in custom room design and construction. I would suggest a degree in acoustics / applied physics (with a dose of CS). Classes in architecture / room decor would also serve you well. Experience with all aspects of HT construction (dry wall, electrical, carpentry, etc.) will make you a better general contractor. Working for a custom installation company will start giving you the needed experience before you set off on your own...

Users who are viewing this thread