What's new

I want to do a front projector... (1 Viewer)

ArthurJ

Second Unit
I realized with the prices of FP's coming down I can get one for less then a RPTV. This is also a plus because space is an issue, so it's all working out great. Anyways, I want a 16:9 and it has to be under $1500 USD price. My room is 9 ft. wide by 15 ft. long. Also, how much are the screens and where do you buy them? thanks!

P.S. my room is completely dark, so no worries there!

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
You well you could go for the Infocus X1 or Sanyo Z-1 That seems to be in your price range. A Panny AE-200U may also be good for your pricing arrangement. the X1 has some problems with "rainbows" and could disturb you. Screen door may also be a concern, but the Panny does a decent job with it. All the projectors above need various tweaking in order to get the picture just right for you. Just one question though, what are you planning to do with it? HD-TV? DVD? TV?

I too am in the market and am waiting for the new models to come out, such as the Z2, Sony HS20 and AE-500U.

If any of my answers are wrong please correct me, I just typed this in a frenzy because I'm making dinner.

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Hey Estevan, is that your real name? I was born in Estevan Sask. :) Anyways, I plan to watch a lot of DVD's, most of my DVD's are widescreen if that helps. I also plan to watch a lot of sattelite too, and HDTV is a must. I will also have my XBOX hooked up, or any other game console that comes out in the next 2 years. as for cable, I might have it hooked up but I will prob do most of my cable watching outside of this room.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Another current digital contender is the popular Panasonic L300U. A 1/4HD that has gotten good reviews. You can make your own screen too as may here have done if you wish.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
For DIY screens, try doing a search here for "DIY screen" and you should pull up some good info. The last screen that I bought was from a high end HT store but I know they can be had online as well. Others can chime in with specific online links.

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
Arthur:

if you can find Parkland material at your local home depot then you can use that for your screen as a start. I recently demod it for my brother and he thought it was better than my plain white wall which I like very much.

I would wait atleast a month before I buy a budget projector, since so many were recently announced at Cedia.

This is the perfect time to be buying a projector.

Good luck.

Michael

ChadLB

Screenwriter
You can go to my link to see a comparison of the X1, Panny 200/300 and Sanyo PLV-Z1. The X1 is not 16:9 native but it can do 16:9. They all seem to be great buys just depends on if you can see rainbow with the X1. The X1 is DLP while the other three are LCD.

Anthony F.

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panny L300u and would definitely recommend it. I did a DIY screen using a painter's drop cloth strecthed over a wooden frame that performs quite well for under $30. With my room arrangement and lighting conditions I limited the screen size to (only) 80" diagonally, but by other reports you should be able to go up at least another 25% on the size. With cables and maybe a new dvd player you should be able to get a new system for around $2K. BTW, HDTV and DVD via DVI look awesome on this projector.

Newer models are coming out soon with HDCP compliant DVI inputs and native 720p resolution so you'll need to decide if the futureproofing is worth the premium you'll pay (until next year when they up the ante again).

ArthurJ

Second Unit
Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the responses. I am going to take my time on this, so waiting a month or two will not be a problem. I'm so enthusiastic about this, I never even gave a FP a thought before because I thought they were all really expensive and for "rich" people. lol, oh well it's going to be amazing not having to lug a huge RPTV up to my condo on top of it taking up a lot of room. Plus the fun factor and entertaining of guest will be greater on a FP, dont you think? This is going to be great!

Estevan Lapena

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, that is my actual name. I actually visited Estevan Sask. Awhile ago on my trip across Canada. I would personally suggest the 300U because it being 16x9 and has been getting praise from this forum on a regular basis. I think waiting is also another great idea because when new models come out, hopefully you can catch some price drops. I’m saving for a HS20 as of now, so good luck!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
If you can still find one, the Panny 200u, the little brother of the 300u has been going for under 1k and preforms excellent for DVD's, has component inputs and is 16:9. I have it in my 9x16 theater with an 80" screen and two rows of seating. Works beautifully and is projecting onto a DIY screen I built using blackout fabric and 1x4's with a custom gray paint on the screen.

I went from an ISF calibrated 46" Mits RPTV to this and have never looked back. PQ is nearly identical and the image size really brings home, home theater at more than half the cost of an RPTV.

Peace Out~:D

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
No reason to wait another month to buy, as far as I can tell. People were saying wait for CEDIA (hometheater tradeshow) to end to see if new sub $1500 projectors were introduced, but that didn't happen. My belief is that little is likely to happen price-wise in the next month for most of the projectors mentioned in this thread. Consensus seems to be that the 300u is better than the rest, but it is also the most expensive and can not be had for $1500 as far as I can tell. Before buying the X1 you need to determine if you see rainbows. Some people do, some don't. Others are bothered by screendoor with the Z1 or 200u. My sense is that, other than those potential problems, you really can't go wrong with any of these projectors. I have the Z1 on order.

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also looking to get a projector in your price range, and have found projectorcentral.com and projectorpeople.com websites to be filled with usefull reviews, information, and links to suppliers. Also, AVSforum.com has very active projector and screen forums.

My house won't be finished for another 2 months or so, so I'll be able to take advantage of any price reductions on current PJs as the new ones are released.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Minesh...I don't know if there will be a price reduction on the Panny 200/300 or the Infocus X1 or the Sanyo PLV-Z1 since nothing new came out in close price range. Most stuff that came out was higher end. Prices may drop a little but not much from what I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks