I want to Connect a computor monitor to my HT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by buggs, Aug 4, 2006.

1. buggs

buggs Extra

I have a dedicated front projection Home Theater with an attached bar area. All of my equipment is in a cabinet in the bar and I am wanting to attach a 17" LCD computer monitor that I have laying around and keep it in the bar. I do not currently have a dedicated computer in my HT system.

So, I need to find an inexpensive way to attach the VGA input available on my monitor to my receiver. My output options are: S-Video, component or RGB.

If the solution is too expensive, I would jut go out and purchase a small flat screen tv - but I already own the monitor and I like the option that it will go into standby mode when no video signal is present.

Any suggestion?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Just connect it with an RGB-VGA breakout cable. Assumes the monitor is multisync and can handle SD/HD resolutions.

Regards

3. buggs

buggs Extra

Thanks a lot, I have been looking for an adaptor and not seeing anything reatail.

I will also have to check to see if it is Multisync. It is only about a year old so I would suspect that it is.

Thanks...

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

5. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Note: Some monitors are "step" "multisync" as opposed to "continuously variable" "multisync". They might not accept consumer video (non-PC video) "resolutions" such as 720p.

Also, the receiver or the source device or some dongle sold separately must explicitly convert (transcode) (analog) component video or HDMI to (analog) RGBHV (including separating out the horizontal and vertical sync. on fourth and fifth lines) for the monitor.