I want to buy an EQ for my sub but....

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Anthony_I, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

I cant seem to find one that i could use with my unit.
    My reciever only has speaker level outputs for my sub woofer, since it has a built in amp.
    I dont have any XLR or TRS connectors on my reciever either, which most EQ's seem to have. So im not really sure how i could even hook an EQ up to my subwoofer anyway.

anybody out there know anything?

2. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

If your receiver has a tape loop you can connect a stereo parametric EQ to that, it would EQ the bass in the main channels but since you use the high level inputs it will only end up changing the sub's output (probably, I'm not quite sure how you have things connected there). If a particular equalizer only has XLR or TRS connections you'll have to use some adapters, or make your own cables. If you don't have a tape loop you could do the same thing between the source and the receiver, but then you're limited to EQ for only one source, and no digital outputs. Is this an old receiver?

3. Anthony_I

Pioneer XV-HTD520....not old actually.
    HTiB

and no tape loop [​IMG]

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I'm not so sure line level converters are a good idea. You'll be feeding an Amped signal into the EQ that is expecting line level.

6. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

?

It's not the same as soldering an RCA connector onto the speaker wire - There must be a good reason it's $60, although the parts are only $5, probably.

It's a converter, not an adaptor.

7. Anthony_I

I would buy one of those, however i cant help but notice one problem, and maybe not much of one.

It has inputs for 2 channels. since 1 channel (+ and -) can be carried on a single RCA cable, then only one wire is needed.

WELL, i will only be using the sub output, which is only 1 channel.

Can i bridge that thing?

Also by using only one cable i can connect my speaker level outs, to the RCA inputs on my amp, and EQ (when i buy one)

8. Anthony_I

Cant bridge it, but i can use one channel of it.

But does anyone know if there is a speaker level to XLR or TRS converter so i can buy the DSP1124P?

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

10. Anthony_I

but i dont have line level out on my reciever.

Ive got to buy a Speaker level - Line level converter from PE., and then buy a Line level to XLR converter, just to connect my EQ to my sub (before the sub amp, and after the reciever)

11. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I dont understand why you need an EQ. As a subsonic filter? low pass crossover? Doesn't your sub have a crossover? What kind of sub? Are you trying to even out frequecy response in your room?

12. Anthony_I

My room has problems... i wanted to tweak it a bit to sound a bit better.

13. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

There's an RCA to TRS connector at RadioShack, and there you go!

14. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

This sounds too complex and I suspect distortion may become a factor with a converter, cables and eq. What sub do you have and at what frequecies are these problems occuring. I understand you have HTIB receiver, you may be better off just buying a new receiver.

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you have room problems, I would start with the room and sub placement. Have you done this alread? EQ should come after you have done the easy things.

I'll ask too: What kind of sub? How big is the room? How do you know you have these room problems?

16. Anthony_I

F that for now man, i will worry about upgrading once i have a good set of speakers, and a half decent room.
    I still need to get carpet first though [​IMG]
    If there is a way to convert speaker level to XLR or TRS then that would be good to.
    The thing about the MB15 is that i would need to run RCA level inputs, that go to XLR outputs connected to the EQ, then the EQ would be connected to the XLR inputs, and my sub amp would connect to the RCA outputs.

Im using a Phoenix Gold Octane R12d as my driver and it will soon be powered by a custom Rythmik Audio plate amp, sitting in a 3Ft^3 Sealed box. possibly to be vented.
    the THD on the MB15 is 0.003% which doesnt seem to bad, not sure about the PE line level converter though

17. Anthony_I

Ive moved it around all over the place.... not having carpet makes it sound bad, so i know a carpet would help a bit and will buy one soon. the room itself is 17'x 11'
    and as for the problems, It doesnt seem to sound as good in most spots, and im limited as to where i can have a listening spot, so i wanted to buy a parametric Eq to try and get it to sound better in certain spots.

18. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

You need to get an SPL meter and a test disk to see what your response looks like, then fix it with the EQ.

19. Anthony_I

I will be buying a RS meter this friday hopefully.... then ill play around with it.

as for a test disc, what tones do i need... ive got a test tone generator, and tones from 5Hz - 300Hz.... but they are stepped by 5 (5Hz - 10Hz - 15Hz etc)

20. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

As long as the tone generator can do every frequency (20, 21, 22, etc.) it's fine.