What's new

I want to buy a TiVo, but... (1 Viewer)

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
...their web site was lacking in the information I wanted.
I'm hoping to upgrade my cable service from AT&T basic (analog) Cable to AT&T Broadband Digital cable. We have two TV sets, and both have basic cable without the cable company boxes (we don't get HBO or Showtime, so that's not a problem).
Do I need to hook up the TiVo to a phone line, so as to download information about programs? Would that use the phone line all the time, or just once in a while?
If I get two TiVos, one for each TV (highly unlikely, too pricey), can I use the same phone line for both?
Also, I think I remember hearing somewhere that the best (cheap) option was to buy the 20 hour TiVo, then buy a Hard Drive (HDD) someplace else and install it into your TiVo. is this even possible?
------------------

Mike Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Do I need to hook up the TiVo to a phone line, so as to download information about programs? Would that use the phone line all the time, or just once in a while?
It will make 1 call a day (about 10-15 minutes).
If I get two TiVos, one for each TV (highly unlikely, too pricey), can I use the same phone line for both?
Sure some of us have up to 6 TiVo's in one house. If the TiVo detects the line is in use, it will call later. If TiVo is on the phone, and you pick up, it will disconnect and call later.
Also, I think I remember hearing somewhere that the best (cheap) option was to buy the 20 hour TiVo, then buy a Hard Drive (HDD) someplace else and install it into your TiVo. is this even possible?
Yep, there are 200+ hour custom TiVo's out there.
------------------
Moderator, AVS TiVo Forum

Mike Schmitz

Stunt Coordinator
It will make 1 call a day (about 10-15 minutes).
Hmmm. My phone lines are rated for 14.4 KBPS, but can eek out 28.8 most days. Should I double that time? And can I tell the TiVo what time of the day to call?
Yep, there are 200+ hour custom TiVo's out there.
Good Lord! Even I don't watch that much TV! What's the ratio of GB to Hours I can record, and where do I go to find out how to install the HDD myself? (I'm assuming self-installation of an extra HDD will void a warranty, and the TiVo company probably doesn't let their service/repair people put them in...)
PS Sorry for posting early, I hit the "Enter" key after inserting a "bold" line.
[Edited last by Mike Schmitz on September 20, 2001 at 06:21 PM]

Mike Lang

Stunt Coordinator
My phone lines are rated for 14.4 KBPS, but can eek out 28.8 most days. Should I double that time? And can I tell the TiVo what time of the day to call?
The call time varies by how much info is needed...more channels = more to load. You can force a call anytime and the next call is about 24-25hrs after the last.
What's the ratio of GB to Hours I can record, and where do I go to find out how to install the HDD myself? (I'm assuming self-installation of an extra HDD will void a warranty, and the TiVo company probably doesn't let their service/repair people put them in...)
You can do it yourself by reading this... Link Removed
and purchasing kits from a place like this... http://www.9thtee.com/tivoupgrades.htm
------------------
Moderator, AVS TiVo Forum

PaulG

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I have AT&T Digital Cable with their Platinum package, and even after my phone was out for 2 days, the actual time TiVo was online to catch up was less than 5 minutes. TiVo makes a daily call 24 hours after it gets done with the current call, so it kinda creeps around the clock. There is a way to force a call if you want, so you could force the call just before you go to bed every once in a while. This would keep the phone free for yor waking hours. In my family, I have 2 teenagers and a computer and 2 TiVo's with only one phone line, and I hardly ever force a call with TiVo, very seldom will you ever know it is using the phone, unless you see the yellow led.
I only bought one TiVo, 3 months later I had a second. Each one serves 2 TVs. I kinda have an eye out for a cheap 3rd one for the bedroom, and will hack that one after awhile. BTW, adding that larger hard drive will void your warranty, however I have heard some extended warranties cover them, but I really don't know for sure how that works.
------------------
Lest we forget 9-11-01

Scott Stevens

Stunt Coordinator
The other option is if you were considering getting DirecTv and you can get your local channels from them, the DirecTiVos cost about $150 each, can record about 30-35 hours at perfect quality, and you would only need to pay one TiVo subscription fee. DirecTv then mirrors that subscription to all other receivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks