What's new

I want to buy a SP 4805 but would like some help. (1 Viewer)

Yanki

Auditioning
I currently have the Infocus X1. I have heard and read great things about the SP 4805. I don't have a lot of cash to spend but would like to upgrade to the 4805.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade? Will the picture quality be better enough to justify switching projectors?

I know the X1 has a 4 segment color wheel at 2x.

the 4805 has a 6 segment color wheel at 4x.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Yanki

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Also you will be getting a CR of about 2000:1........a REAL 2000:1. That to me is the biggest difference between the 2. The X1, although a fantastic and groundbreaking projector does have its' limitations. I think you will notice a pretty big difference between the two.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I upgraded about four months ago from an X1 to a 4805 ... and it *really* does seem like a upgrade.

Here are the main differences:
* More lumens. The 4805 provides about 200 lumens more than the X1 operating in "Film" or "Video" mode.

* Better resolution for widescreen movies and HDTV. Even though both projectors are 480p, the 4805 has a native 16:9 DarkChip DLP vs. the X1's 4:3 DLP chip.

* Much better contrast ratio. The apparent contrast ratio improvement seems much greater than a specification comparison would indicate.

* Better color saturation. The six-segment 4X color wheel is built from the ground up for Home Theater use. The X1 really provides only a three-segment wheel when operated in one of its two HT modes.

* And, of course, the obvious improvement: Just about total freedom from RBE due to the 4X color wheel.

Yanki

Auditioning
Thanks a lot guys.. Just waiting on Purolator to deliver my SP 4805. Sold the X1 over the weekend.

My home theater feels a little naked right now.

Yanki

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Yanki:

One tip:

Be sure to hook up your equipment to the 4805's standard component input.

The 4805 just seems to *glow* when fed a 480p and/or 1080i signal via component.

For awhile there I was running my HD cable via component to the 4805; but was running s-video from the DVD player, thinking that the 4805's Faroujda DCDi chip would handle the rest. After sampling what component looked like from my DVD player, I quickly realized that I was an idiot. The component signal from my DVD player looks at least 25% better on the 4805 than the s-video feed did. (Of course, if you want, you can still have your DVD player feed an interlaced signal via the component feed which would still allow the 4805's DCDi to "do its thing").

If your existing A/V Receiver doesn't handle component switching, you can get a nice component switcher from Radio Shack for $69.95.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Got my 4805 yesterday. Popped in my usual movie whenever I get something new, JAWS, and was blown away. The colors were more vibrant and I could see more details (such as building shapes in the distance) that I didn't see with my trusty old X1. I also tested Star Trek: The Motion Picture and, for the first time after watching it many times, noticed that certain surfaces were brushed steel; I could see that little detail now. Anyone else notice things with their 4805 that they didn't with their X1? Color me very happy with this upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks