I want to buy a projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tod Golden, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

I have a $1500 budget to spend on a projector. What are my options within this price range? I would like to connect a DVD, Computer, VHS, Cable or Satellite, etc. This will be used for a new Ambulance Dept. and I will be installing this myself. Is there any special cabling? How bout switching between all these components? Is this feasible for $1500?

2. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

It's possible. You could get something like a Z1 or Panny 300. You could even get all of those components hooked up a the same time, although you would have to settle for composite and S-Video on a couple of them.

RG

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Using these sources might not warrant the purchase of a 16:9 projector, as most of these sources display 4:3 material rather than 16:9. If this was ONLY used for DVD, those would be great choices, but since you also have a bunch of sources in 4:3, it may not be the best.

The new BenQ PB6100's getting a bunch of attention, and also its lighter weight more portable cousin the PB2120.

and of course, there's the X1.

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    How much control will you have over the room lighting? If the room is relatively bright (natural light, etc), you may need to look for high lumens. (Such as the X1 or a more expensive model.)