I want to buy a Panny F85 (soon!), can't find one.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Brett_H, May 15, 2003.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

All,

I will be assembling the entertainment center in our new house this coming weekend. My old DVD player is dead and I need a replacement ASAP, preferably before setting everything up. The Panasonic F85 (in black) looks to be the right one for me, problem is I can't find one anywhere.

I've been told by two local retailers that Panasonic is undergoing an internal computer system upgrade and that they haven't shipped any consumer product since 4/30/03. It might be some time still before they begin shipping again. Since this is a new model, this is the reason I'm being given that nobody has it in stock. Is this legit?

More to the point, does anyone know of a source for these in or around Cleveland, OH? I've called everywhere I could think of, including all those listed on the Panasonic website as local retailers. I would have mail ordered sooner, but I didn't realize it was going to be this big of a hassle to find one locally!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Brett.

2. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

We will be getting ours in about a month. We already have the silver one. Sorry, i am not familiar with local retailers in Ohio.

Scott

3. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Scott,

Is the month delay a result of the situation I described (Panny computer upgrade) or just a normal delay for a newly introduced unit? When you say "we", mind if I ask who you're referring to?

It just occurred to me that if I found a silver one locally, I could always buy that for now to get things going and then swap it out for a black one when they become more widely available, assuming it's within the store's return window... of course, nobody has either around here, from what I can tell.

Thanks for the reply,
    -Brett.

4. Mike Pollmann

Mike Pollmann Stunt Coordinator

Brett-

I'm in the same boat. I want to buy a F85K (black) but can't find one. I've been thinking about just giving in and ordering the silver one from Crutchfield. Of course, the second I do that, the black one will be everywhere. [​IMG]

- Mike

5. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

OK, so I spoke (posted?) too soon!

I was in Circuit City the other day and didn't see any. I stopped back in just now on lunch, and when I asked the guy, he gave me a funny look... until I told him it was also a DVD-Audio player. He walked me over to another display, away from the other DVD players, and there it was, but only in silver. The didn't even have the black one in their computers yet. I decided to give it a go, so I've got the F85S sitting in my car now awaiting hookup this weekend!

Hopefully I'll either like the looks of it or they'll get the black ones in time for me to exchange it...

Thanks for the replies! The moral of the story is that if you want to find one in Circuit City, look for their "DVD Audio" display.

-Brett.

6. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for the delay brett. When i say We i mean Ultimate Electronics. There is no delay that i am aware of just the normal ship times for a new unit.
    Scott

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I've only seen the 'F85S in stores, which is the silver version. Panasonic is very funny about introducing chassis colors. It always seems like they introduce one color and have that one out for awhile before releasing the second color.

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

From what I have seen, you are basically outta luck if you aren't willing to concede to the silver version (in all fairness, it's not THAT bad...but not that good either).

9. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

Scott:

which store do you work in? brentwood?

10. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Black F85's are backordered in Canada too.

11. Jon Bye

Jon Bye Stunt Coordinator

Jon Bye
    is the F85 the replacement for the rp82???

found my answer. It doesn't have dcdi chip.

12. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

Jon Bye,
    What do you mean it "It doesn't have dcdi chip"?
    I heard great reviews and test results for the rp82 and cp62. So is the F85 not as good?

13. Jon Bye

Jon Bye Stunt Coordinator

Jon Bye
    I believe that Panasonic has there own all in one chip now. Instead of using the Sage genesis fli2200 for deinterlacing.