1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to buy a cast iron pan, need advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd K, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

First of all,

I have a question -- should a cast iron skillet be used on an electric stove? My new apartment just has an electric range so that's all I have to work with. I tried to find information on the Internet, but only found one page that says an electric burner will cause cast iron to warp. Does that make sense?

Also, I'm thinking about using ebay to find one that's already been well seasoned. Once it's been seasoned, do I have to perform any regular maintenance on it, or is that something you only have to do when you first get a new pan?

I'd appreciate any advice on the subject.

Thanks,
    Todd K

2. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Electric should be fine -- the great thing about cast iron is that the heat will be very even and steady. As far as seasoning, it is recommended that you don't use soap to clean the pan after use. Just use hot water. If the seasoning comes off, you can re-season it by coating it with a light layer of oil and baking it in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour or so.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Make sure it's COMPLETELY DRY before you put it away and NEVER put it in a dishwasher.
    These are lessons learned the hard way..... [​IMG]

4. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Seasoning is, well seasoning or growing better with age[​IMG]
    The very basic method is filling the new frying pan/kettle at least one-inch high with any regular cooking oil like canola and leaving it in the oven overnight at 125-150 degrees. The others suggestions are good...you don't want to buy someone's old cooking grease residue, do you?
    I have an omelet pan, tho not cast iron, that I rinse with the hot tap in the sink, then dry with paper towels.
    p.s. another trick to removing stuck-on crud is scour the pan with a plastic chore-boy/girl and SALT.

5. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I use cast iron on my appts electric range and it works just fine. I went to Wal-Mart and got 2 Lodge cast iron pans and then brought them home. To season them the first time I simply coated the entire surface with crisco and then put them upside down in the over (over an cookie sheet for drips) for about an hour at 350. This gave them a nice coating to start the seasoning process. They will not look jet black and slick at this point, they have to be used to get that look.

This coating I've put on looks like its flaking off in places (just looks "gone" in places) but thats ok, you just have to keep cooking in them. Anything you cook that is greasy is great for helping to get you pan seasoned. I cook all my bacon and ground meats in it.

-Marshall

6. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

You can usually get them at a hardware store and avoid any specialty-store markup. Season well (the pan will often come with instructions on that), don't use soap, and you should be fine.

I clean mine by pouring in some kosher salt, rubbing that around with a paper towel, then washing it all out with water. I dry and do a quick rubdown with vegetable oil. Haven't had to reseason yet!