I want to build some Tower Speakers! help plz!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jeff:L, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Jeff:L

Jeff:L Auditioning

I have built a sub box for my car, but home speakers seem much more complicated! I want to build 2 tower speakers with 1 tweeter & 3 mids in each tower.

Do I need bracing? I would not think so since there isnt really any strain on the box right? there is no sub on the box, just 3 6" mids and a tweet.

Do I need porting & chambers etc...? I was just going to make a sealed tower & cut out holes for the speakers...

Crossovers? How do I connect the crossovers? I guess I will need 2 crossovers? one for a mid & a tweeter & one for the other 2 mids?

Ohms: If each speaker is 8 ohms and the tweeter is 8 ohms also (total of 4 8ohm speakers), I can wire it to be 16 ohms, or 4 ohms, right? Can my HK 430 receiver handle 4 ohms? Won't running 16 ohm tower to my receiver result in less power output?

Please help, I know most of my questions are stupid, but Im new & i didnt find many posts about building towers.

thanks!

2. David_Moechnig

David_Moechnig Stunt Coordinator

I'd highly reccomend buying Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. I recently purchased and read the entire book and it answered a lot of questions. Parts Express has the book as well as this place. I would start off with something simple like an inexpensive pair of 2-way bookshelves and see how it goes. Otherwise there are a ton if kits and plans out there to copy. Also www.diyaudio.com has a forum section on loudspeakers that has a plethora of information.

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

I second David's recommendation for the Loudspeaker cookbook. I have been researching this topic for over a year and would highly recommend starting with a kit from somewhere like GR research, Adire Audio, Creative Sound Solutions, Parts Express etc. This way you get your feet wet and you are guaranteed to have excellent results.

4. Bob K

Bob K Stunt Coordinator

Jeff,

I strongly second Graham's suggestion that you start off with a kit, or at least a design from the internet or otherwise that others have heard and that gets good reviews. Graham has mentioned some reliable ones.

To throw one more name into the mix, I recently built a pair of Pi Studio 2s and am enjoying them greatly, http://www.pispeakers.com .

In terms of building the boxes, yes you want to brace as extensively as possible, to minimize resonance from the box. You can see some pictures of the "window frame" bracing I used in my Pi 2s at the link below. Others do it differently. The size of the boxes, whether the speakers are sealed or ported, and if ported the diameter and length of the port, depend entirely on the design you choose.

Your questions aren't stupid at all. Unfortunately, speaker design is tremendously complex. I've read (or tried to read) some of the books and understand some of the basics, but I wouldn't try to design my own speakers in a million years!

Good luck!

Bob

Pi Studio 2 Tower Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php