I want to build a waveguide!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by sphynx_000, Sep 5, 2006.

1. sphynx_000

sphynx_000 Auditioning

Sep 4, 2006

I want a system that will be good for music and home theater use (I will only have 2 channels). I hope to get away without using a sub, at least for now... And that is why I want to make a waveguide. I have heard a good system can extend to 30hz or so with decent spl. That is kinda what im aiming for.

BTW- im new to DIY home audio if you cant tell.

Initially I will power it by a cheap reciever (150x2 @ 4 ohms i think). I want to use 1 or 2 mids, 6.5 inches to 8 inches. Specs on the dayton reference drivers seam to be fine, but I could be way off . I would like to use those woofers or similar due to their great price/performance ratio. Also peerless exclusive, seas RNX... anything with decent lowend output to fill in the absence of a subwoofer. For the tweet, I would really like to try a planer/ribbon or something.

There are a few I have heard good things about but dont have experience with any.
    fountec, BG neo, fostex

I would like to use 2 mids, MTM. But I have no idea on box size. I am imagining something along the lines of maybe 10"x12"x5'. I dont want anything too huge.

I have been reading up on t-linespeakers, but I still have a long ways to go. I was hoping someone could give me a headstart for designing one of these guys.

Im pertty much looking for any info or advice you've got.
    thanks in advance.

Note, im posting the same project at the avs forum. I hope that is not against policy or anthing. Im just looking for as much insight as I can find. Also here are a couple quick questions im trying to get answered.

-how do you calculate the length of a fold?
    -in 3-way t-lines, could I just put the mid and tweet in a seperate sealed chamber?
  2. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

May 30, 2000