I want to build a Sub - Need recommendations

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Alex-F-V, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to build a sub. After getting the DIY bug and building (in the process of building) a flexy rack I want to build a sub. Damn fantastic home theater and its addictingness!!!
    This is basically what I am looking for.

»» I want to build a sub that is downfiring so I can make it a coffee/side table. I'm thinking a 12" sub.

»» I want a sub that can give some good boomy bass... yes boomy. The music I listen to is mostly rap and I love deep boomy bass.
    About 75/25 - HT/music.

»» I want to have full control of how much output it gives out. As in I want to be able to make it only give off as little as 10% max output to the full 100% output at the same volume level. Does that make sense?

I'm thinking some of that stuff might contradict so I'm definetly willing to comprimise. The Budget I'm looking at is $350.oo to $500.oo including materials, driver and amp and anything else I might need. I will end up finishing it in a maple veneer but that is outside this cost and will be dealt with seperately.
    I also need to get the stuff by the first week of november as I have a week of vacation time and want to build it then. I hopefully will be done with my Flexy Rack by then too.

BTW I know nothing about building speakers.

Well Thanks in advance.

I want a sub that'll end up looking like the sub posted in post #37 on the show of your sub thread.

2. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

A Tempest in the SBB4 alignment with the Parts Express 250 watt plate amp. See this page

3. Alex-F-V

Yeah it is Bass... I just hate that word... Whenever I see it I always say bass as in the fish.

What I mean by the output part is that My wife HATES bass. She says it hurts her ears. So when she is around I want to be able to turn down the sub and have it not give off so much bass. Even turning down the bass output on the reciever is not enough for her. So I want to have that option of turning down the sub without having to turn it off when she is around.

4. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

Are you just using your main speakers for bass now? You might find that a good subwoofer will make the bass much more pleasing to the ear, maybe even for your wife. [​IMG] The parts express 250 watt plate amp and every other plate amp has a level control, it is usually at about 1/3 of its max. There is also a version of that amp which has a remote control, see it here
    Get the one without the bass boost.

5. Anthony_I

Anthony_I Stunt Coordinator

Rythmik Audio 380W plate amp.

It is definatly the way to go... same as the PE amp except it has defeatable/adjustable rumble filter, and can be custom modified for certain things.
    Slightly more expanesive.

My sub so far.

12" Phoenix Gold Octane R12d: $139 CAD (this is what i paid for it.... it is actually more expensive... i got a deal for some reason)

Rythmik Audio plate amp: $250 CAD (this includes the cost of the money order and converting it to USD. The amp is only $140 USD)

Box materials: MDF (4' x 8') $30, plus the cost of cuts ($1 each at HD)
    Screws i had etc.

The cost is still going to rise though, Im going to build in a DSP1124P feedback destroyer and add a light ring around the woofer that flashes with the music, and ground EFX just for kicks.

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd look at the Stryke Audio AV12 in an EBS enclosure w/ the Rythmik 380W plate amp. You may also want to look into an in-line volume control. This way you could have your in-line volume control set to full and calibrate your sub w/ an SPL meter and the amp's volume control. Whenever you want to turn the sub down, you use the in-line control, that way all you have to do to get the volume back to calibrated reference is turn it all the way back up.

7. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

8. Brett Creider

Brett Creider Stunt Coordinator

Where can you pick up an AV12?

9. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

The Stryke web site here

10. Brett Creider

I see that but where's the buy button? lol

11. Jake K

Jake K Stunt Coordinator

His web site is still under construction, you'll have to call to place an order.

12. Brett Creider

Probably won't. I'll just stick with getting a 12" DVC...

13. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Dayton DVC would be a big step down from an AV12. I would give Stryke a call. The phone order process is easy and the turn around is quick (i received mine in 2 days).

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

I'm with Stephen here. If you can afford it, the AV12 is definitely the way to go. If not and you'd rather go with the DVC 12", then I'll have to disagree with Anthony on the choice of amps. Yes, the Rythmik amp is nice and is an awesome price for the features you get, but I feel it's overkill for a DVC 12". But, if you calibrate properly and don't get too carried away with the volume control the Rythmik amp does have the advantage of more headroom and "tweakability".

15. Brett Creider

So are you saying get AV12 and the Rythmik amp that puts out 380? What's the RMS on the AV12?

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

17. Alex-F-V

Hmmmmm now I'm really torn between the tempest and the AV12. I was practically ready to get the tempest but now looking at the AV12 I'm wondering again.
    But a couple of questions?
    Can the AV12 bet set up for downfiring?
    And what type of enclosure. I like the fact that the adire site gives you bluprints on the box to build for all sorts of uses for the tempest.
    If i get the AV12 I will have no idea what to build?
    I didn't see any bluebrints for boxes on that site.
    So what would you guys reccommend?

18. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

I just finished my AV-12, It sounds good but I almost wish I had a bigger amp (currently I have the rythmik 350 watt) I only hit around 103-104db in my listening position before the amp clips [​IMG] I guess I can live with it.

Yes, it can be used downfiring. You can put it in a box from a 60l to 100l for flat responce, or build a 140l EBS aligned box tuned to about 16 hz for super low notes.

Mine is approx 100l (3.5 cuft) tuned to 18-19 hz, for more boom I could have tuned it to 20-22hz but I was going for a flat in room responce, the lower tuning helps adjust for the room gain. a 60l box should be tuned to about 22-23hz

Stryke does have a couple reccomended alignments on their site.

One thing to be careful of with the AV-12. If you use a 4" port, it needs to be flared on both ends or you will have port noise.

19. Alex-F-V

So where can I buy a rythmik amp???
    Right now I'm leaning towards the AV12 an likely going to buy a prebuilt enclosure from stryke audio. Then finish it up my self to my exact liking.

20. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer