What's new

I want my Episode II LaserDisc!!! (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I was just thinking how nice it would be to have the rest of the Series on LD!
I have the Japanese EP I and the Trilogy IV V & VI, which matches I and was issued in a slip cover. Much nicer than the US Faces...almost up to the Amadeus packaging.
Guess I could always make up a Pseudo LD Cover and stick the DVD.
I dont care if the format went bust, once you start issuing a series, you should finish it in that format- even if it is in limited quanties!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I dont care if the format went bust, once you start issuing a series, you should finish it in that format- even if it is in limited quanties!
That's an easy rule to make when you're not the company that would have to lose money on such a release. Do you propose that Lucasfilm/Fox should start up a new LD plant just to satisfy some fan's quirky desire? And how, exactly, are they supposed to make CED discs of Episodes I & II?

DJ

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
And how, exactly, are they supposed to make CED discs of Episodes I & II?
Nothing like a good ol' CED reference at 4:00 AM to really get the blood pumping :)
I also wouldn't mind an LD release of E2, but it ain't going to happen.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It is kind of sad that the entire extant Star Wars series is not available on the same, unified, hi-res home format.

As indicated by this thread, Episodes 4,5, and 6 are available exclusively on LaserDisc (and apparently will be exclusive to that format until late 2006); while Episode 2 is exclusive to DVD (with no hope of a LD release due to the fact that software distribution channels for that format have dried up throughout the world.)

On the other hand, Episode I is available in all known home video formats with the exception of CED and D-VHS.

Perhaps this is where D-VHS will actually come to the rescue in the near future, and provide a unified hi-res home video format haven for all current extant Star Wars films while we wait for the late 2006 DVD box set. (?)

After all, a D-VHS basic release of all the current Star Wars films would require no commentary tracks and no special features of any kind. All Lucas would have to do is "give the word". A late 2004 release of these films to D-VHS would be just about right in that that should be the peak year for the format; plus it would help promote Episode 3 which is scheduled for May, 2005. It *could* happen!!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As indicated by this thread, Episodes 4,5, and 6 are available exclusively on LaserDisc (and apparently will be exclusive to that format until late 2006); while Episode 2 is exclusive to DVD (with no hope of a LD release due to the fact that software distribution channels for that format have dried up throughout the world.)
What about VHS?

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Also I imagine that Laserdisc pressing plants have been disassembled or turned into dvd manufacturers.
Besides the idea that a studio should keep up on a series of films that have had earlier installments available on LD is insane and pointless. What would be next, The newer Bond films so a few fickle collectors can have the whole set on LD? Maybe Jason X should also be on LD to complete horror fans Friday the 13th collection? How about the last Halloween film? Sum of All fears for my Jack Ryan Collection? Men in Black II? or the greatest offense, not being able to have a complete LD set of "Where the Boys Aren't" :D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Also I imagine that Laserdisc pressing plants have been disassembled on turned into dvd manufacturers.
All the ones for consumer products have. There are still a few industrial LD uses and they're still running I think. Bottom line, they aren't going to strike new business relationships to lose tons of money

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
The tower records by me just added a vinyl room...alias no 8 track room or even closet:D
I cant imagine that the plants for DVDs are different than the ones used for LDs...they were probably converted in the 1st place.
Actually I am surprised that Japanese still dont put them out, much bigger format over there and bigger bucks too.
I wont hold my breath but it sure would be nice.....

Brenton

Screenwriter
I got an idea! Why don't they put Episodes IV, V, and VI on DVD! Then we can have all five movies on one good format! It would be so easy! I can't believe I'm the first person to think of that.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
CED is not laserdisc, It is better known as RCA Selectavision, they where like giant floppy discs, with a discs inside, that had groves like a vinyl record and where read by a needle. I was an awful format and almost all of the discs skipped in spots. I still have a player stashed away somewhere with about 20 discs including The Star Wars trilogy.
A few pics and more detailed information here

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
At the time it wasnt that bad of a format.I think I bought mine for $59 in 1983; my vcr was about $500 back then. It had better resolution than VHS and movies were under $10

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how long some people are going to pine away for laserdisc? :)
I think it should rest in peace....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks