What's new

I want Beverly Hillbillies Season 1 on DVD (4 Viewers)

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So the one thing I dont get - something that occured to me as I was watching some of my other public domain shows from the 50's - is why do this hap-hazard?

Ok, there's a ton of Beverly Hillbillies out in public domain - just about the entire first season (and about half of S2) by my count. Why a company doesnt gather everything PD they can get their hands on, throw them on a disc in broadcast order, and take a little bit of time to clean up the presentation (proper menus and the like, some kind of extras, that sort of thing).

Sure you get the crappy PD prints that everyone else has, but the cost of mastering the discs would be negligable. You could probably make a pretty sweet return on a 'nearly complete' season of Bevery Hillbillies.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Every series has their version of Trekies, or I should say, fanatics.

The fanatics are more dedicated to their favourite series in a way a casual watcher might.

As a non-trekie, I used to watch the original Star Trek series in the same way the casual Hillbilly fan does, like the ones who are satisfied with the PD Hillbilly DVDs.

I am more of a Hillbilly version of a Trekie. I am NOT satisfied with the PD, TV Favourites, collections.

Imagine TV Favourites selling Deep Space Nine episodes.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I can understand the fanatical devotion. Consider this however:

I'm a huge Godzilla fan, and have been so ever since I was a wee lad watching them every saturday afternoon on UHF television in the late 70's. Of course I would LOVE to see a un-dubbed, letterboxed, loaded with extras and bonus features DVD released in the US. Toho Studios, on the other hand is scared of undermining their R2 sales, and refuse to budge releasing nice discs that could be imported by Japan fans. In short, I will never see these movies as special editions.

So - I have two choices. Get angry and boycot, giving Toho the finger and have no Godzilla whatsoever. Or I could get what can, enjoy as I'm best able to and weep for what could have been later.

Same thing here - which is more desirable: no Hillbillies at all or some Hillbilies for the moment, while holding out hope for the future? Sure it sucks, but some is better than nothing.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Finally! Thank you Paramount.
I knew boycotting the public domain stuff would payoff.

But I don't care too much about the giant jackrabbit episode.

Beverly Hillbillies, The - Come and listen to my story 'bout some DVDs...
Posted by David Lambert2/24/2005
Jed! JEEEEEEEED!!
What is it, Granny?
Where has that no-good Jethro gone to?
Why, I think he's out back by the cement pond.
Well, tell him to find Elly May and get on down to the store. Our DVDs are gonna be along any time now!

Yesterday's edition of The Wall Street Journal (2/23/05, Section B) had a story by Merissa Marr and Joe Flint entitled "DVDs Are Finally Paramount". The article explains that previous management figures had a strategy of bringing titles - film and TV based - to DVD in a slow and steady fashion, and that new management in place now has a different plan of increasing the studio's revenue by way of cutting loose on the library.

Much of this has been reported already, at the time that the executives did their shuffle in recent months, and it wasn't exactly news we could use here at TVShowsOnDVD because no actual titles were brought up. But the Wall Street Journal story is naming names!

Among those names are "The Clampetts": Jed, Granny, Elly May, and cousin Jethro Bodine. They are The Beverly Hillbillies, in the original 1962 show that became a television classic. And the story clearly says that this show is on-the-way to DVD. From Paramount. In official studio-sanction sets, and not the questionable-quality public domain releases fans have been saddled with for lo these many years now!

The story doesn't give any further info than that, but reading the context it sounds like it will be sooner in the timeline compared to other shows mentioned in the article. Stay tuned, and we'll keep you posted on this. In the meantime, start saving up your money to buy this. I'm sure Mr. Drysdale will be happy to open a savings account for you at his bank!

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Finally!

Beverly Hillbillies, The - Hey Jed, you're getting DVDs!
Posted by Gord Lacey5/16/2005
In February we brought you a story about Paramount releasing more of the television product on DVD which specifically mentioned The Beverly Hillbillies. We were able to dig up some information on the set, thanks to reader Bob Huggins, and it's not Paramount that's releasing the show, it's MPI Home Video. They're also responsible for the upcoming Petticoat Junction DVD set coming in August 30.

The Beverly Hillbillies, The Ultimate Collection, a 4 disc set containing 26 episodes, will be released on September 27. We have the box copy, disc contents and extras from MPI listed below (we hope to have artwork soon). This is the first time that authorized (non-public domain) episodes have been made available. The set contains 26 or the first 27 episodes broadcast. We're told that "Home for Christmas" will appear on a future release from MPI Home Video.

Premiering in 1962, THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES sprang onto the American landscape like bubblin' crude, turning into television's number one show faster than any sitcom in history. A supreme television classic, this CBS-TV folklore favorite ran for nine years and still holds the record for TV's highest-rated half hour.

From the creative genius of TV pioneer Paul Henning (The George Burns & Gracie Allen Show, Love That Bob, Petticoat Junction), comes the story of poor Ozark mountaineer Jed Clampett and his kin, striking it rich with oil and headin' for Beverly Hills, California. Join the feistiest Granny of them all, wise Uncle Jed, his critter-loving daughter Elly May and love-crazy Cousin Jethro in their unrefined, legendary quest for an idyllic West Coast existence. Welllll, Doggies!

This astounding Ultimate Collection, with rare footage culled from creator Paul Henning's private archive, features 26 newly-restored and unedited episodes with the classic opening and closing theme songs (The Ballad Of Jed Clampett), the complete and never-before-broadcast pilot (The Hillbillies Of Beverly Hills), rare cast commercials, interviews and a heapin' helpin' of behind the scenes footage.

Now, "set a spell...take your shoes off. Y'all come back now, y'hear?"

Authorized by The Estate of Creator Paul Henning

Disc 1

1.Series Introduction, by Linda Kaye Henning
2.Pilot Episode: The Clampetts Strike Oil (September 26, 1962)
3.Getting Settled (October 3, 1962)
4.Meanwhile, Back at the Cabin (October 10, 1962)
5.The Clampetts Meet Mrs. Drysdale (October 17,1962)
6.Jed Buys Stock (October 24, 1962)
7.Trick or Treat (October 31, 1962)
8.The Servants (November 7, 1962)
Disc 2

1.Jethro Goes to School (November 14, 1962)
2.Elly's First Date (November 21, 1962)
3.Pygmalion and Elly (November 28, 1962)
4.Elly Races Jethrine (December 5, 1962)
5.The Great Feud (December 12, 1962)
6.No Place Like Home (December 26, 1962)
7.Jed Rescues Pearl (January 2, 1963)
Disc 3

1.Back to California (January 9, 1963)
2.Jed's Dilemma (January 16, 1963)
3.Jed Saves the Drysdales' Marriage (January 23, 1963)
4.Elly's Animals (January 30, 1963)
5.Jed Throws a Wingding (February 6, 1963)
6.Jed Plays Solomon (February 13, 1963)
7.Duke Steals a Wife (February 20, 1963)
Disc 4

1.Jed Buys the Freeway (February 27, 1963)
2.Jed Becomes a Banker (March 6, 1963)
3.The Family Tree (March 13, 1963)
4.Jed Cuts the Family Tree (March 20, 1963)
5.Granny's Spring Tonic (March 27, 1963)
Bonus features:

*Original Cast Sponsor Commercials
*CBS-TV Network Promo
*Documentary: Paul Henning & The Hillbillies
*Vintage Variety Show Appearances by Buddy Ebsen & Irene Ryan
*Unaired Pilot with Extra Footage
Link to this page:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3418

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm certainly thrilled that we're getting official release of some of these episodes but I still find this frustrating. Has anyone heard why they are only including most of the first season and not all of it ? It just seems ridiculous. What happens with the next release ? Do they pick up where they left off or jump to the 2nd season instead ?

I'm also wondering about this unaired pilot. I was always under the impression that the first episode where Jed struck gold was the actual pilot. I think it aired as part of an anthology series on CBS to begin with. Or it was supposed to. Perhaps this is the first episode with edited footage put back in ?

Randy_Cre

Agent
Well, I decided to contact MPI Media Group which is releasing both the Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction sets, regarding the "Ultimate" collections that amounted to about 2/3s to 3/4s of the 1st seasons for the two shows.

It seemed strange to me that they would omit about 10 shows per 1st season.

The response I received was more disappointing than I hoped for. I hoped that MPI might be releasing the shows in partial season volume like has been done with other shows ala Combat, Lost in Space and I'm sure others.

Well, the reason the Beverly Hillbillies set will contain just 27 of the 1st season episodes is .... Paramount owns the REMAINDER of the show's episodes.

The shows on the two releases BH and PJ are from the Paul Henning Estate.

Any future releases of either series will be at the discretion of Paramount, which apparently has not shown an interest in releasing these shows.

So, its really up to each individual fan... Do you buy these sets and hope that Paramount notices strong sales, and decides to release future sets (seasons!!!!! please Paramount)? ... Or do you refrain from buying because you A) wanted season sets not compilation sets... and or B) don't want more 'loner' sets ala Barney Miller, Mad About You, (apparently Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley and Mork), Just Shoot Me, etc, etc. ... In this case, the chances being more likely that would happen since it would be 2 different companies handling the 1st "ultimate" sets ... and any additonal sets.

Below is the text from MPI's response ....

Thank you for your note.

MPI Media Group has acquired all available episodes of Petticoat Junction and The Beverly Hillbillies from the estate of their creator, Paul Henning. Paramount Pictures controls the remaining episodes and they are not available for licensing.

We have made a very dedicated effort to put out the best quality sets possible, offering the original theme music for both series plus many extras never before available, including two extensive 45 and 55 minute documentaries on both sets -- -"The History of Hooterville" and "Paul Henning & The Hillbillie." with new and vintage interviews of over a dozen actors and production associates. In addition, actress Linda Henning hosts new introductions to each "Petticoat" episodes and there are numerous original cast commercials, plus promos and other special, rare material.

We feel these sets are an excellent value and that collectors of classic television will enjoy seeing these shows in their complete form as originally aired. Hopefully Paramount will eventually release the rest of both series. Thank you again for your interest and we hope you will ultimately enjoy these sets and appreciate the efforts taken to set them apart from the unauthorized editions previously on the market.

Sincerely, Jim Pierson - DVD Producer

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave

Wow, I've never even heard of such. I can't imagine episodes from one series being owned by two different entities. This is really frustrating because it means that we're just not going to get these episodes properly. Yet another classic series that's not being done properly. I guess I'll be getting collection (plus future ones if there are any) and firing up the DVD-R for the rest. I'm certainly not waiting for Parmount to get a clue. But I'm very glad to have the information now.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm happy to have these in an authorized version and I can reluctantly accept that subsequent episodes were not available for this set. But I still don't like the Christmas episode being excluded. It's just a way to force people to buy a separate release. Where's Granny's White Lightnin' when I need it ?

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter

Why only 27 episodes? I know that there are at least 50 episodes in the public domain. Why can't MPI release another volume with the remaining public domain episodes?

I recently purchased a Beverly Hillbillies 50 episode dvd set at Ross Dress for Less store for $9.99. These are the same public domain episodes that all the cheapie companies have been putting out for years, but this is the first set I've come across that contains a whopping 50 episodes! The set is put out by Diamond Entertainment. There are 5 discs with 10 episodes on each disc. They are housed in slim line dvd cases.

Naturally, they don't have the original opening and closing music, no extras, and they are not restored.

Here are the episodes on the Diamond set. Unfortunately, they are not in order of airdate.

DISC ONE:
The Clampetts Strike Oil
Getting Started
Meanwhile Back at the Cabin
The Servants
Jethro Goes to School
Pygmalion and Elly
Elly Races Jethrine
The Race for the Queen
The Clampetts Meet Mrs. Drysdale
The Giant Jackrabbit

DISC TWO:
Jed Rescues Pearl
The Clampetts in Court
Jed Throws a Wing Ding
Jed Saves Drysdale's Marriage
Elly Needs a Maw
Jed Plays Solomom
The Girl from Home
Jed Becomes a Banker
Jethro's First Love
Granny's Spring Tonic

DISC THREE:
The Great Feud
Home for Christmas
No Place Like Home
Back to Californy
Duke Steals a Wife
Jed Buys the Freeway
The Family Tree
Jed Pays Hits Income Tax
The Clampetts are Overdrawn
The Clampetts and the Dodgers

DISC FOUR:
Jethro's Friend
Clampetts Gets Clampetted
Psychoanalyst Gets Clampetted
Duke Becomes a Father
The Clampetts Entertain
Hair Raising Holiday
Granny's Garden
Elly Becomes a Secretary
The Clampett Look
Turkey Day

DISC FIVE:
Jed Buys Stock
Trick or Treat
Elly's First Date
Jed Cuts the Family Tree
Jed Gets the Misery
Elly Starts School
The Clampetts Go Hollywood
The Garden Party
The Clampetts Get Culture
Christmas at the Clampett's

Who can also buy it online here, but its a few dollars more than Ross:
http://www.meritline.com/dvd-movie-b...lies-5-pk.html

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Reading MPI's e-mail again, they say that they acquired all available episodes, and that the ones they couldn't acquire were controlled by Paramount. They did not, however, say that Volume 1 consists of every episode they were able to acquire. There is room for the possibility of a Volume 2 with the rest of the episodes you listed.

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Quote>, "Thank you for your note.

MPI Media Group has acquired all available episodes of Petticoat Junction and The Beverly Hillbillies from the estate of their creator, Paul Henning. Paramount Pictures controls the remaining episodes and they are not available for licensing.

We have made a very dedicated effort to put out the best quality sets possible, offering the original theme music for both series plus many extras never before available, including two extensive 45 and 55 minute documentaries on both sets -- -"The History of Hooterville" and "Paul Henning & The Hillbillie." with new and vintage interviews of over a dozen actors and production associates. In addition, actress Linda Henning hosts new introductions to each "Petticoat" episodes and there are numerous original cast commercials, plus promos and other special, rare material.

We feel these sets are an excellent value and that collectors of classic television will enjoy seeing these shows in their complete form as originally aired. Hopefully Paramount will eventually release the rest of both series. Thank you again for your interest and we hope you will ultimately enjoy these sets and appreciate the efforts taken to set them apart from the unauthorized editions previously on the market.

Sincerely, Jim Pierson - DVD Producer." End Quote

(I don't know how to use the quote feature, so I did it manually.)

I hope the MCI releases will be of the best quality with NO negative alterations.
Particularly NO CUTS!!!!

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Without having seen the set yet, it does sound like they have done the best they can with what was available to them. So I applaud them for that. Now the question is how do we pressure Paramount to release the rest of the episodes ? Perhaps a box set for the remainder of the season one shows and then separate sets for the subsequent seasons ?

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
If Paramount Pictures does not license the rest of the series, we will not see the Hillbillies go to England.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
The question of whether to buy or not is academic. If sales did entice Paramount into releasing their own sets, they would not have access to these episodes. This is the only way to get these particular episodes. The price is reasonable. Also the extras are good especially since any Paramount release would probably not have any extras.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Anybody know how to get in touch with Paramount so we can ask them to consider putting this out ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks