I want Beverly Hillbillies Season 1 on DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tom_mkfty, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Tom_mkfty

Tom_mkfty Stunt Coordinator

I would like to see the release of season one of the Beverly Hillbillies. I can't find these episode ANYWHERE.

You would think the release of Green Acres would signal the release of the Beverly Hillbillies, by seasons.

1. Pilot Episode

Jed Clampett sells his swamp full of oil to the O.K. Oil Company for $25 million and moves to Beverly Hills to live in a mansion.

2. Getting Settled

Wealthy Jed Clampett and his family are mistaken for a staff of backwoods servants when they arrive at their mansion.

3. Meanwhile, Back at the Cabin

The Clampetts find that the luxuries of their new mansion are a poor substitute for the comforts of their former mountain shack.

4. The Clampetts Meet Mrs. Drysdale

When Mr. Drysdale describes his wife as a hypochondriac, the Clampetts assume she must be a tippler.

5. Jed Buys Stock

When Drysdale advises the Clampetts to invest in stock, Jed rushes to buy some cows, pigs, goats, and chickens-livestock!

6. Trick or Treat

The homesick Clampetts, unaware that it's Halloween night, decide to go calling on their Beverly Hills neighbors.

7. The Servants

Milburn Drysdale attempts another step in the social renovation of the Clampetts by lending them his servants.

*8. Jethro Goes to School

Jed enrolls Jethro in the Millicent-Schuyler-Potts private school. Mrs. Potts, the private teacher, is surprised to find our her new student is Jethro.

9. Elly's First Date

Elly May's first date with Mr. Drysdale's stepson, Sonny, ends in confusion before it even starts.

10. Pygmalion and Elly

Debonair Sonny Drysdale plays Pygmalion and Julius Caesar as he resumes his tempestuous courtship of the ingenuous Elly Mae.

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

You should use a question mark in your title since you are asking a question. I automatically thought that this post was going to be about details of an official release.

3. Tom_mkfty

You want these too?

4. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Cinematographer

Discs of Beverly Hillbillies are easy enough to find - and cheap too. Sure it's not a COMPLETE set, but I think of the two sets I picked up (for 5 bucks each, no less), I'm only missing 5 or 6 episodes from Season 1.

5. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Bah, Tony, that's public domain crap. I want cleaned up stuff and in complete sets. Extras would be nice, too, though we sadly lost Buddy Ebsen this past year. Green Acres can't signal the release of The Beverly Hillbillies because MGM owns the former but not the latter. I'm sure that if they owned The Beverly Hillbillies, they'd have released the first season by now (perhaps instead of The Best of Mr. Ed).

Who does own the rights? Well, it's one of those like The Andy Griffith Show in that no one knows who holds the DVD rights to all the episodes that aren't public domain. The number of public domain episodes is probably well into the 30's and have been put onto DVD by everyone you'd expect: Madacy, Good Times, BCI Eclipse & Delta. Have any of these companies spent a dime on making them look better than bootleg quality? No, which shouldn't surprise us in the least.

Wonderful show that was one of the most popular in its day. I would buy season sets. Let's hope that someday it gets a great DVD presentation from whatever company has it.

6. Tom_mkfty

This is a good place to start.
    SOMEBODY must have them.
    Copies of some episodes might be in public domain, but the master tapes must be still in the hands of the copywrite holders.

I would like to see the release of season one of the Beverly Hillbillies. I can't find these episode ANYWHERE.

1. Pilot Episode

Jed Clampett sells his swamp full of oil to the O.K. Oil Company for $25 million and moves to Beverly Hills to live in a mansion.

2. Getting Settled

Wealthy Jed Clampett and his family are mistaken for a staff of backwoods servants when they arrive at their mansion.

3. Meanwhile, Back at the Cabin

The Clampetts find that the luxuries of their new mansion are a poor substitute for the comforts of their former mountain shack.

4. The Clampetts Meet Mrs. Drysdale

When Mr. Drysdale describes his wife as a hypochondriac, the Clampetts assume she must be a tippler.

5. Jed Buys Stock

When Drysdale advises the Clampetts to invest in stock, Jed rushes to buy some cows, pigs, goats, and chickens-livestock!

6. Trick or Treat

The homesick Clampetts, unaware that it's Halloween night, decide to go calling on their Beverly Hills neighbors.

7. The Servants

Milburn Drysdale attempts another step in the social renovation of the Clampetts by lending them his servants.

*8. Jethro Goes to School

Jed enrolls Jethro in the Millicent-Schuyler-Potts private school. Mrs. Potts, the private teacher, is surprised to find our her new student is Jethro.

9. Elly's First Date

Elly May's first date with Mr. Drysdale's stepson, Sonny, ends in confusion before it even starts.

10. Pygmalion and Elly

Debonair Sonny Drysdale plays Pygmalion and Julius Caesar as he resumes his tempestuous courtship of the ingenuous Elly Mae.

7. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Well, although it was a Filmways production like its spinoffs PETTICOAT JUNCTION and GREEN ACRES, I believe CBS owned the series. It has been syndicated by Viacom for years.

Thus Paramount owns the rights.

Come to think of it, Paramount should own the rights to THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW as well.

Time to step up and put the PD clowns out of business!

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Thread title has been edited.

M.

9. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I thought Paramount owned the rights, or might own the rights but I wasn't sure, and am still not totally sure, but both of those shows Hillbillies and Griffith IMO are just begging for a DVD release and would do huge business especially TAGS.

Yeah, I'm with Dane, I don't want public domain titles...season sets with possible extras would be really nice.

10. Tom_mkfty

A broken up URL , because I am not allowed to post a whole one yet.

ht tp / ww w.tvparty. com/ recbev. ht ml

Its a good link. There are samples of the first two episodes.

11. Tom_mkfty

I have actually been boycotting the cheap versions.

I will continue doing so.

12. Tom_mkfty

The season one, would be great for kids too.

13. Tony J Case

While I'll admit that I'd like to see complete sets too, the cheap versions arent all that bad, and certanly hold me over until (if) we ever get the real deal. As for how they look, no - they're not Attack of the Clones or Matrix level video masters, but they're watchable. No less than say if I caught the episode on broadcast TV.

I guess I'm more forgiving when 8 hours of entertainment only costs 5 bucks.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Does anyone know why certain Episodes are in the Public Domain and others are not, how does that work exactly?

15. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    The first three or four episodes were released on laserdisc in a selected episode set. I managed to find this at a pawn shop a few years back. The other episodes are from other seasons.

I saw at BB awhile back a DVD set of the Beverly Hillbillies, containing, I think, 10 episodes selected. What you're looking for might be in that set (at least some of them). Check out the TV section there.

16. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

Shows fall into PD (which really means copyright not renewed) when one of the following happens:

1 - The owner of the show screwed up and forgot to renew in the 28th year after original copyright. This has happened with a number of series from the late 50s-early 60s. That's how the bootleggers got ahold of episodes of Dick Van Dyke, Andy Griffith, Beverly Hillbillies, Bonanza, etc.

2 - The owner just didn't feel that the show had any commercial viability and let the show lapse. This is what happened with many lesser known shows.

3 - The studio and or person who produced the show is long out of business or deceased and rights were never transfered. That is why all of the Hal Roach Studios shows for instance fell into public domain. The studio went bankrupt in the late 50s and no one really kept track of the properties. When renewal time came, there was no one around who either cared or wanted to be bothered. There were also far more independently produced shows in the 50s than any other decade.

P.D. really only refers to the shows themselves. The music might still be under copyright. Also if the show is based on a book or published story, that copyright might still exist. That is how they have "claimed" copyright on It's A Wonderful Life, which was thought to be PD for years. That particular claim is actually pretty bogus but no one has the millions to fight it out in court.

There are many more intracacies involved but this is the Cliff Notes version.

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This was started as a separate thread, which has now been merged into this one.

M.

18. Tom_mkfty

I don't think the master tapes are in public domain of
    Beverly Hillbillies or The Andy Griffith Show.

I hope THOSE are still in good hands.

I have been reading all kinds of reviews of the Hillbillies DVDs.
    Most are negative about the public domain qualities, just like here.

Same with Andy Griffith DVDs.

Think of the Three Stooges. Disorder In The Court and three Shemp movies are in public domain, but most Stooge shows are sold by the copywrite holders.

I think the master 1962 black and white episodes are still where the rest of the series is. Jed's Castle episodes are still in private domain, I hope.

19. Tony J Case

Well, I guess it all depends on what you go in expecting. Unless the show gets a extensive restoration like the Doctor Who DVDs currently enjoy, I cant see a 40+ year old TV show ever looking THAT great.

Sure the current DVDs are just about VHS quality, and certanly better masters would be a step up, but really there's not a whole lot that can be done here.

20. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

It's only certain episodes of HILLBILLIES that have fallen into PD status. The majority of the episodes are still protected by copyright. THE PD ones seem to all be from early in the show's run.

The same situation has indeed occured with THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW, THE LUCY SHOW, and BONANZA, among others. Only a handful of episodes are PD, which is why the same ones always turn up in cheap DVD sets and Low Power TV station broadcasts.

I'd love officially sanctioned, complete season sets of HILLBILLIES.