What's new

I want a TOP GUN SE! (1 Viewer)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
You know, now that Paramount has done a re-release (ST2: Wrath of Kahn) special edition, I think it's time to lobby for a re-release special edition of Top Gun.
This movie SHOULD be one of the ultimate demo movies for surround sound and home theater in general, yet the DVD is a veritable piece of... well, you know what. The transfer sucks worse than almost anything out there, and the DD5.1 sound track is pathetic in comparison to evenm the DPL track from the LD or VHS.
Extras would be nice, but I don't even really care if there are any... just give me an anamorphic new HD transfer, with a high quality 5.1 re-mix of the audio, and I'd be happy. I know so much about this movie, I can provide my own extras! ;)
So, what do y'all say? ARE YOU WITH ME?

Chris M

Second Unit
You're not alone.. I'm still waiting for it.. I want Top Gun, but no point on buying the current non-anamorphic one!

Chris.

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup:
My 2nd Favorite movie of all time.
Titanic beeing first. Too bad they're all from Paramount. :frowning:

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
An SE would be nice, that way my local Fry's can stop using that crappy non-16x9 version to demo their widescreen TVs. (Don't they wonder why it looks like crap?)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Like I said, at a minimum the movie deserves a new QUALITY anamorphic transfer, and a "TOP NOTCH" ;) re-mix of the sound to 5.1 (dts even!)

DanHaya

Second Unit
I've successfully avoided getting the bare bones, non-anamorphic version. I think both Top Gun AND Crimson Tide deserve a 2-disc Special Edition.

Actually, I wouldn't mind it if both films got the Criterion treatment. Since Bruckheimer uses them so much...why not?

Jonathan_

Second Unit
I'd replace my old Top Gun DVD with a new 16x9 SE in a heartbeat. I have only played it once in the 2 years I have had my 16x9 TV. I just can't deal with the crappy picture quality.

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
This is also one of my favorite all-time movies.
That being said, the quality of the existing DVD is so bad, I actually sold the disk because I can't stand to watch it in this condition.
Paramount, please sell the rights of Top Gun to Columbia, or just lease the rights to them long enough to "Superbit" it... pretty please!?
:rolleyes:Yeah, that'll happen... :angry:

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Uh, I don't have a widescreen tv, or anything fancy, but the picture on my disc isn't TERRIBLY bad, I don't think. Of course, a non-anamorphic dvd played on a non-anamorphic tv probably won't tell me a whole lot about the crappy picture.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
This is curious......
Take a gander at the "WIDESCREEN REVIEW" of the current Top Gun DVD (they seem to love it).......
Widescreen Review:
Picture Quality: 4 (5 is the highest rating)
The non-anamorphic DVD is framed at 1.95:1; altered from the 2.35:1 original compositions. Digital noise and artifacts are apparent, especially in the air scenes. Colors are fully saturated with accurate fleshtones, rich and vibrant colors and deep, solid blacks. Contrast and shadow delineation are mediocre, sometimes lacking natural detail and clarity. The DVD could have been stunning if it were anamorphically processed.
Sound Quality: 5 (5 is the highest rating)
The Dolby® Digital discrete 5.1 soundtrack is a full-throttle sonic experience. Bass extends to below 25Hz with superb spatial envelopment and directional effects.
-----------------------------------------------
Question: Are these Widescreen Review people totally off their individual & collective rockers, or are we here at HTF just WAY too demanding (do ya think)?? :)
Because everyone in this thread seems to think the T.G. transfer & sound are certainly nothing to write home about. WS Review expresses exactly the opposite opinion. Very strange.
BTW....Amazon is showing a release date of 01/08/2002 for the existing DVD of Top Gun. Can this be correct?! Seems it's been out much longer than that! (Or is it possibly just the 2nd pressing release date of the original product?)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Like I said, at a minimum the movie deserves a new QUALITY anamorphic transfer, and a "TOP NOTCH" re-mix of the sound to 5.1 (dts even!)
Agreed!!! I don't particularly need an SE (personally, I've seen enough of Tom Cruise lately to last a lifetime), but I would like an anamorphic transfer and a killer DTS track to go with it!

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Paramount it would be nice to have top gun and titanic re-released in 16x9 wide screen with dts es 6.1 sound. a second disc with extras would be a nice bonus.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Yup yup... I bought the Top Gun DVD blind, because I like the movie. If I had known the transfer and audio were crap, I probably would've left it on the shelves. I'll upgrade on street date, if Paramount will give me a better verion.

Paul Chi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Paramount Please release a SE. I have the current disc and its bad. I would buy a SE in a heart beat along with a Titanic SE. Thanks.

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
Count me in on that SE. This is one of my all time favorite movies. Ever since i started buying DVDs this has been on my wish list. Nevertheless i am not going to get it until we get a decent edition. Surely Paramount must understand that this movie deserves a better treatment in terms of picture and sound quality.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I always though the film was vastly overrated as an audio demo.

The scene from Clear And Present Danger when the F/A 18 takes off from the carrier and then smart-bombs the drug lords house is way, way better IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks