I want a SVS but sheesh!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LaMarcus, Feb 12, 2003.

1. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I just spent a nice sum of money on a variety of things for my family, furniture and house repairs. Of course I had to get some HT for me too, a whole new system (speakers/ receiver).

Now from another thread of mine I've discovered that I need a better sub. I really really really want to get a SVS but, sheesh man![​IMG] They're a lil expensive for my pockets right now, because of all the other stuff I bought.

So, I want a sub as close to their performance as possible. Willing to spend $500 tops, and that's sneaking behind my womans back to get it. Waiting I could get a SVS, but when that upgrade bug bites, you have to do what it says, and it says NOW!

So please help. Thanks.

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

If you want one so bad, wait. It will be worth it.

There's my advice. Take it or leave it.

3. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I feel ya man, I'm just terrible at having patience

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Give these guys a shot.

Acoustic-Visions

Also I know a couple guys who also build subs on this site that would be glad to build you one. Go on over to the DIY section and take a sniff at what they have cooking over there.

You can e-mail me if you want a few names of folks that have an archive of subs and speakers that they've made and would be glad to build a sub to your specs.

Good Luck

5. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Thanks Martice, I'll give a looksy.

6. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Suggestion - get the passive SVS, and run it either off an old receiver, or get one of those $125 or so 250 watt plate amps from Parts Express, until you can get a higher powered one.

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

You mention house repairs. Do you have some tools (or access to) and some basic wood working skills.

If you can build a box, or even just route some cirles in MDF you can build one hell of a sub for well under $500. I'm talking SVS Ultra performance for a little over $400 if a rather large enclosure and buiding your own enclosure doesn't scare you.

8. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Just a thought. Klipsch Synergy subs are priced right at the moment. Quite frankly my KSW-15 has more bass than I will ever use. I also had the KSW-12 that I liked a little better and it had more bass than I could use. I've never heard the KSW-10 but our local dealor has them for $300.

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Watch for a used CS - 2 for $150 each yesterday in the HWFS forum!

If I wasn't so happy with my SVS driver DIY, I'd have bought one.

10. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

11. Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie Stunt Coordinator

The smaller PC-i subs start at 550 + shipping new, 500 + shipping if you can find the "B-stock" on their site. It's the upper end of your range, but it should fit.

12. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Also, check out Brian at http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/
    For $500 he can probably build you a better looking sub that sounds just as good. Besides Brian is a great guy to deal with.[​IMG]

13. Bry_DD

Bry_DD Second Unit

Suggestion - get the passive SVS, and run it either off an old receiver, or get one of those $125 or so 250 watt plate amps from Parts Express, until you can get a higher powered one.

This is what I did when I didn't have enough for a PCI. First I had a old Pro-logic rec then I bought the plate amp from PE.

14. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Hsu VTF-2. Had one. Loved it. It took an SVS 20-39PC to supplant it.

15. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

I bought a amp online from parts express for $119. Going to use my 15" competition sub that's in a 4ft long bass tube and see what it sounds like...(for now).

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

What would that "competition" 15 inch driver be? T/S for it? What are the specifics of that tube enclosure?

17. Lon

Lon Extra

Actually I found the Klipsch ksw-12 to be boomy and had poor extension. Aftering firing up my svs ultra, I began to wonder how I ever thought the ksw-12 sounded good.

18. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Well the name of the drive is Aria. They're motto is "deep bass less space", it was originally purchased a a car subwoofer. Was the hardest hitting sub they had in the store when purchased. The woofer was so strong that the guy had it in a box and stood on it!

Supposed to go down to 20hz. The tube is approx. 4' long, and it's not ported. What T/S means, I have no idea.[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

TS = Theil / Small parameters - the electro-mechanical stats for the driver. (Qes, Xmax, etc.)

Knowing these lets you use all that software to make the best box, or at least see what it sounds like on paper in the box you have.